new router plane

rodger.

Like really small chisel cutting edges, and odd shaped things like some spokeshave blades, I sharpen them by hand on the sides of the stones so I don't worry about gouging the face.  I don't worry about micro bevels on such small surfaces.  The diamond lapping film makes quick work out of polishing them to super sharp.

I don't remember ever changing blades in the middle of a job.  I use the pointy one if it's used for a marking gauge, as well as cleaning out the mortise.  Like for a small hinge mortise, I'll mark it on the edge with the router plane, take most of it out with a chisel, and finish with the router plane.  It makes a great marking gauge when followed by itself.  

I had a couple of hundred such small mortises to cut on the window sash job for the back shoulders of center muntin tenons, behind a little deeper mortise for the tenons.  Two small router planes got the call.  One for the shoulder mortise, and the other to clean out the tenon's mortise. I used the pointy cutter for the shoulder mortise, and the straight to finish the bottoms of the mortise for the tenon. There is movie footage in the ipad, but so far I haven't had time to figure out how to edit, and get it into the PC.

I just follow the original bevel too.  There's such little metal to remove that it goes really quickly anyway.

• Like 1