Earlex HV5500

Orbb

I had the Earlex 5500 for a month and just couldn't get it to spray consistently even with the 1.5mm tip. It had some QC issues, some cosmetic and some functional. I then read a FWW article on HVLP turbines and it said they couldn't get it to atomize waterbornes properly. I worked with Earlex's customer support and they were very friendly, but in the end my unit just wouldn't spray a nice finish so I returned it.

I bit the bullet and bough a Fuji MM4 and instantly started spraying great test boards. Maybe my Earlex unit was bad but I'm also sure the extra power of 4 vs 2 stages made a big difference. I can spray GF milk paint full-strength and leave a perfect finish. 

My advice is if you want to buy once then get a Fuji MM3 or MM4. If you want to buy now get the Earlex but chances are you'll upgrade it down the road. Once you start spraying you won't want to go back. 

Once you start spraying you won't want to go back. 

Totally agree.  I have the Earlex and a professional compressor driven system.  This is not an area to go cheap on--especially if your vision is to spray latex--which I highly advise against.  Every now again I consider selling everything off for an Apollo 4 or 5 stage.  I am finishing off the top for a sofa table at the moment with GF High Performance and the ability to lay down four or five perfect coats in one day cannot be beat.  If your expectations are less you might be happy with an Earlex but odds are you will be upgrading later.  Buy your last tool first.  :-)

miw

Totally agree.  I have the Earlex and a professional compressor driven system.  This is not an area to go cheap on--especially if your vision is to spray latex--which I highly advise against.  Every now again I consider selling everything off for an Apollo 4 or 5 stage.  I am finishing off the top for a sofa table at the moment with GF High Performance and the ability to lay down four or five perfect coats in one day cannot be beat.  If your expectations are less you might be happy with an Earlex but odds are you will be upgrading later.  Buy your last tool first.  :-)

miw

Good point. I love my earlex, but will be upgrading to a Fuji mini mite 3 or 4 soon.

==>extra power of 4 vs 2 stages made a big difference
You have to think of turbines as two distinct groups: 2/3 stage and 4/5 stage…

2->3 stage is an incremental and largely nominal difference… The same of 4->5 stage… However, the jump from 3->4 is huge in terms of psi and cfm…

The 2/3 stage atomize thinner coatings AOK (dyes, shellac, NCL, etc). But if you shoot waterborne, cat varn, tinted poly, vinyl, etc then you need 4/5…

I’m not saying you can’t shoot WB with a 2/3 stage, but you won’t lay-down an off-the-gun finish… For some, that’s fine --- you can always fix it in post…

I pulled the trigger yesterday morning.   I have a lot of house projects that it will help out on, so it's not all a woodworking indulgence. Thanks for the input.

Now, how do I go about justifying the Domino XL?

I pulled the trigger yesterday morning. I have a lot of house projects that it will help out on, so it's not all a woodworking indulgence. Thanks for the input.

Now, how do I go about justifying the Domino XL?

Just post a thread asking if it's a good idea to get one ;)

==>Now, how do I go about justifying the Domino XL?

Easy...

Close your eyes and tap your heels three times. And think to yourself, “The kid’s don’t need a college fund… The kids don’t need a college fund… The kids don’t need a college fund”…

Or perhaps, “She’ll get the house, but I’ll get the tools… She’ll get the house, but I’ll get the tools… She’ll get the house, but I’ll get the tools…“

Or if '80s pop-culture's your thing, "How much for the little girl? How much for the women? Your women. I want to buy your women. The little girl, your daughters... sell them to me. Sell me your children!"

Simple.. :)

Note to self: I’ve got to stop posting before my caffeine infusion… That’s two days in a row…

• Like 1