30 minutes of work, huge difference. .

Brendon_t

I bought a cheapish ($50) vise from Amazon to slap on my work bench. It is harbor freight bench so I didn't want to go crazy with it

The installation took about 30 minutes but dang, it is so nice to have. It seems like one of those things that you don't miss until you have it then don't. I've used it already a dozen times this week. .

Definitely a worthy upgrade. Kinda bummed I didn't do it sooner.

• Like 1

I bought a cheapish ($50) vise from Amazon to slap on my work bench. It is harbor freight bench so I didn't want to go crazy with it

The installation took about 30 minutes but dang, it is so nice to have. It seems like one of those things that you don't miss until you have it then don't. I've used it already a dozen times this week. .

Definitely a worthy upgrade. Kinda bummed I didn't do it sooner.

What model?

Yes I can't wait till I get one on a work bench. Clamping down to the table suuuuuucks

What model?

Yes I can't wait till I get one on a work bench. Clamping down to the table suuuuuucks

Try this Bushwacked!  It's inexpensive, and works like a charm.  You can mount it with wing nuts so it's removable, but once you get it on and see how much you use it, it'll be a permanent fixture.  I made just one change to mine... I used shorter pipe.

post-15288-0-87359500-1426148547_thumb.j

post-15288-0-70692400-1426148590_thumb.j

post-15288-0-06318600-1426148626_thumb.j

Funny how that happens.  I bought cast iron wings for my tablesaw (it came with stamped steel) and they have been sitting in the corner for 6 months because I thought it would be pain to install.  Took me 30 minutes last night and the saw is little smoother now.  

What model?

It is the Woodstock D4026, cabinet makers vise. yes it is made in China.

I considered making one of the clamp on style vise but perminently installing this one solved two issues for me.

1) the bench needed some more weight.

2) my bench is my only real work surface and I didn't want to have to clear that area, go get the vise, clamp it, use it, remove and store it for a quick job.

I am going to have to trim about 1/2" from the bottom of the faces so that the top drawer will clear properly.

If you had taken 31 min. you could have pre-drilled those screw holes :ph34r:  Looks like it will work fine.

Haha I knew somebody would catch that. I actually did pre drill them. A brand new battery off the charging pack got the best of me. It was the screw head dropping further than I counter sunk is what split that piece of oak.