Craigslist Handplanes

jg9522

saw an ad for 7 handplanes for $55 but it didn't state what they were. I met with him and the planes were a Stanley no7 w/corrugated sole (I already have one of those), Stanley no6, Stanley no607, a Wards Master no4, Stanley no220, Stanley noC255 x5, and I don't see any markings on the last block plane on the right. They are all rusty and I told him I really didn't want any of them except the 220 and maybe the Wards no4. Why the Wards? I have a Craftsman no5 and it is every bit as nice as my Stanley no5. Not that I know very much about planes, but I have an addiction, and I'm learning how to use them.

He didn't want to split them so i walked to my car and he followed me and said I could have them all for $20.

I bought them and when I got home I looked them all over very closely. Other than the rust, they are all in very good to excellent condition. And the 607 is a Bedrock, which from the little bit of research I've done, are worth quite a bit more than the $20 that I spent on all of them.

I have a lot of hard work ahead of me, but in the end, I think I'll be happy.post-16034-142800799823_thumb.jpgpost-16034-142800802446_thumb.jpgpost-16034-14280080442_thumb.jpgpost-16034-14280080601_thumb.jpgpost-16034-142800807992_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the posts. That is a great restore you did. It looks great. I think I might try electrolysis this time. Although I'm leery of it removing the japanning.

I did a search on the Stanley Bedrock 607 and I see them selling for over $300. It is one of the earliest models (3 line name on lever cap). Does evaporust remove japanning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk