Set me "straight" please...

Barry Gilbert

I have always purchased my wood from the big box stores and never had to worry as much about working off a straight edge. I bought some GREAT wood from a local mill and have started noticing that I have a problem keeping a straight line. Simple question is what is the difference between a Planer and a jointer? I guess I thought of a planer as working like a big sander and finishing just one side. If that is the case then how can it make a perfectly flat surface when it is not working from a square on any side? Do I have it all wrong. Thanks for the education in advance!

If you do not have a jointer, then you need a workaround to get one flat side for reference. You can Google planer sleds and get one workaround for relatively short stock. You can skip plane to get a rough board a little closer to flat. There are other concepts out there also, but the jointer is the usual place to get one flat face short of hand planes.

Edit: Blast, Eric!! Post faster before I type a book...

• Like 2

Lines can be parallel without being straight, like the lane lines on a highway as it goes around curves.  A planer make two faces parallel, but not necessarily straight.

Lines can be straight and not parallel, like the foul lines on a baseball diamond.  A jointer makes one face straight (flat).

Using a jointer to make one face flat, and then a planer to make the other face parallel to it, will give you two faces that are straight, flat and parallel.

and then you'll be able to rip a nice square edge with your tablesaw and waste less wood. I don't have a jointer myself and I use my planer to get that flat surface, but it takes a long time and lots of shallow cuts.
  • Like 1

If you don't have a jointer, a handplane can get one face flat enough to go through the planer without rocking. Take light passes until one side is flat, then flip and finish. Edges are tougher, for me at least. I find a straight line ripping jig for my tablesaw to be more effective than edge jointing with a hand plane.

• Like 1

If you woodwork long enough, you'll inevitably reach a point where box store lumber and limited tooling is no longer adequate...sounds like you've reached that point!  The machines needed to mill your own lumber are certainly an investment, but it opens up a whole new world of possibilities, and it takes your work to a WAY higher level.

• Like 2