Black Locust

Strasberry

I have used it for a small table top.  It can be difficult to work because it is so hard.  My planer knives weren't super sharp so I got a lot of chip out.  But other than that I see no reason not to use it.  It can be hard to find, though.  

A friend of mine gave me about 500' of it, so I have lots to play with!

I've used it for a big outdoor table and a few smaller items. It is quite hard and somewhat prone to tear out. The outdoor oil I used on it peeled/flaked off within a couple of months (GF I think). But i have had no problems with an oil finish on a heavy mallet I made that stays in my shop. The look is somewhat unique. Quite yellow, especially with an oil finish. Reminds me a lot of teak.

• Like 1

A friends grandfather cut down a couple trees many years ago and this has been sitting in a barn for about 15 years. Hope it's not too dry to use. From what I've seen with the couple pieces I've played with, the tear out could be a issue and it is very hard. Hadn't thought about what kind of finish to use. Knowing your oil flaked off means I will need to do some testing.

I've used it for wooden weapons, and a cage for my raspberries. It's hard, but not as bad as hickory or jatoba or the other really hard stuff. I don't think it's any more prone to tearout than most other woods, except for the fact that the tree itself tends to be knotty and gnarly, so you get a lot of grain direction changes. I've never found it to be totally unmanagable, though.

Also, it ages to a very pretty amber color.