Dado blades

Jeremy Carlsten

Being newer to woodworking I haven't yet gotten a dado stack so far I have just nibbled away material on the tablesaw until I have my dado. My question is I have a cheap skill 10" tablesaw which I would assume you generally put 10" blades on. However I have not seen any 10" dado stacks sold anywhere, is it safe to put smaller size blades on a 10" tablesaw? Are there any considerations with the safety equipment? I am guessing you buy a smaller dado as you don't need as much cut depth, does that same logic apply to regular blades?

I'm pretty certain most dado's are 8 inches (I use an 8" Freud dado stack on my 10 inch table saw)  and it is perfectly fine to go smaller blade diameter on the saw.

The real question is how long your arbor nut is since dado's will require a longer arbor than just that for a single blade.  Also, the HP required to run a dado is much more than a single blade.  if you notice your saw is bogging down at all now, a dado will be very tough to run unless small incremental passes are taken.

Typically dado stacks come in 2 sizes, 6" and 8". If your going to plow 1/4" dados, rabbits and grooves, a 6" will suit you fine. That's what I did, but I didn't plan for the future. I built a box joint jig, and the 6" wasn't big enough. I actually just bought an 8" set.

With that said, your saw may not be powerful enough. The arbor may not have the space to accommodate a big dado stack. Definitely upgrade your saw when you can.

With a dado stack, you have a lot of steel spinning at once, can do a lot of damage to flesh. Use push blocks to push the material across the blades, never just your hands.

-Jason

Any size blade that will fit your arbor should work your saw, but you're best bet is with a decent 3/32" thin kerf 10" blade (they start just under $30 for a Freud Diablo or Irwin Marples series blade).  The problem with smaller diameter blades (like 7-1/4" circular saw blades) is that the width of the blade is often thinner than the splitter or riving knife, which can really cause some issues in the middle of a cut when it binds up. If all else is equal, the cut quality will likely be a little better with a 10" version too.  

Dado stacks are usually in the 6" or 8" range.  Your Skil saw will have an easier time spinning a 6" dado stack.  The Infinity Dadonator Jr is outstanding.  The entry level Freud, Oshlun, Avenger, CMT, or Irwin Marples are also decent.  I'd steer clear of the current HD Avanti, Oldham, Mibro, or other cheap sets, especially wobble sets....there's really not many dado sets for under $50 that are worth spending any money on IMO.    

Edited by knotscott