New Fence for R4510

Lee Bussy

Let's not talk about how a new Freud blade in a Rigid circular saw will cut through extruded aluminum. Let's talk about a replacement fence system that's an upgrade.

I found a few older (more than 4 years old) posts around the Internet saying this Delta T2 is the way to go for the price. Still true? I know the big B is the Cadillac, under 2 bills seems like a better idea for a job site saw. Anyone familiar with Toolbarn.com? They seem to have the lower price:

http://www.toolbarn.com/delta-36t30.html?gclid=CJ_mvaD-nMcCFRAxaQodIK4OMQ&ad=54710738894

Edited by LBussy

Oh no... I take it your reason for upgrading involved some excitement? I have to admit, I didn't realize it would be feasible to put one of the aftermarket fences on the job site saws. I saw numerous posts about replacing the stock fence on the larger cast iron ridgid saws... That's not what you're thinking of? Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Honestly, the only clue anything was happening was a strange "buzzing" sound that turned out to be the teeth making music with the measuring tape that serves as a scale.  I mean if I had not stopped it would have cut clean through the rail.

What I took away from my searching was that it was meant to be a replacement for Delta saws, but if I was willing to drill some holes it would mount on anything.  Not sure if that's correct or not.

I did search for a replacement piece, but they want $100 for it and that's just a little ridiculous.

So here's what I did ... it seems I was not clear enough with my description so I've attached a pic.  It was my circular saw that I was using cutting a piece of MDF using the saw as a table.  The front rail is >$100 at the typical replacement parts places.  Before I spend that sort of lettuce I want to see if I can invest a little more and get an upgrade.

IMG_4018.JPG

I was looking at the information on VerySuperCool Tools website and it seems to me having a "standard" rail is just a matter of a piece of angle iron and some square tubing.  Is that all there is to it?

Does a Biesemeyer style fence also clamp in the back or is it 100% driven by the front rail?

Edited by LBussy

I have used a shop fox version of the Biesmeyer system and am very happy with it.  I am currently ordering the 72" for my new uni saw.  If the the square tube style fits I would look at the shop fox setups for a budget friendly solution.  Both the rails and the fence in a 30" kit have served me well on my Jet saw. 

So here's what I did ... it seems I was not clear enough with my description so I've attached a pic.  It was my circular saw that I was using cutting a piece of MDF using the saw as a table.  The front rail is >$100 at the typical replacement parts places.  Before I spend that sort of lettuce I want to see if I can invest a little more and get an upgrade.

IMG_4018.JPG

I was looking at the information on VerySuperCool Tools website and it seems to me having a "standard" rail is just a matter of a piece of angle iron and some square tubing.  Is that all there is to it?

Does a Biesemeyer style fence also clamp in the back or is it 100% driven by the front rail?

yes,  the rail system is just as you stated. Square tubing and angle iron.   Check out their you tube page. IT had a how to and parts video somewhere. 

I watched the VerySuperCoolTools vids last night and I think I may head that way.  On a jobsite saw the rails may become a sunk cost (but not much) however the actual fence will be an investment I can take to new saws if I upgrade (or at least it seems that way.)

Maybe it's a serendipitous mistake.

I'll go check out ShopFox too.

Hi Lee - I put the Delta T-2 (36-T30) on my Jet contractors saw (JWTS-10).  It was a terrific upgrade over the factory fence.  I can't speak for the other aftermarket fences that are being listed above, but the Delta was terrific.

Thank you sir.

I think (and maybe I'm WAY wrong) that if I am going to be drilling holes I may as well do so and make a Biesemeyer style rail to open up my choices.  It might cost a couple bucks more when I am done, but I think it may be worth it.

Maybe I'm missing something, but looking at the picture I don't see how that little oopsie makes your fence unusable.  So it's got a saw cut in it?  Aside from your pride, what's it hurt?

If you want to upgrade the fence anyway, I get it...any excuse is a good excuse.  I have a VSCT on my saw and I love it.

PS...build a workbench. :)

• Like 2

Maybe I'm missing something, but looking at the picture I don't see how that little oopsie makes your fence unusable.  So it's got a saw cut in it?  Aside from your pride, what's it hurt?

SSSHHHHHHHH!!!!   I told the wife it was ruined!

The way that cut is f's my ability to use the slide-out to extend the table, and eats the measuring tape.  That and it hurts my pride. :)

PS...build a workbench. :)

Ironically, I was cutting some MDF for a workbench when that happened.