Table Build in Senegal

RPCV_Woodworker

So, this is my first project journal - please forgive the large amount of hiccoughs it is bound to have!

I've been living in West Africa for most of the last decade, and am now doing what is likely my last tour before going back to the states for a few years.  I've decided to make one of my colleagues a coffee table as a leave-taking present.  

Below is a rough sketch-up design of the table.  It's a bit chunky, but my tool selection is very limited, and I'm not very good with hand tools...  The wood will be locally sourced African Mahoghany (Khaya senegalensis for the most part).

Etienne's Coffee Table 2.png

Etienne's Coffee Table 1.png

• Like 1

Haha that's the contractor who appears randomly in new sketchup models.  On my old laptop I had a medieval carpenter as my human scale (he was also closer to my height).

So at the local lumber yard, I've been running into some issues, and they've not let me take out my camera since the last trip.  Khaya senegalensis is pretty much the only tree that gets big enough to harvest in this country, and it sells for about 14,000 fcfa (24USD) for a 2.5cmx 25cm x 4m (1" x 10" x 13') plank (about 11bf).  This would be about $2.20/bf.  I'll be getting more precise numbers when I get the boards for the top.

A weird note, they sell 8cmx8cm posts for construction, for 5,400 fcfa @ 4m length for something that will soon appear in the Wood forum for an ID.  When I ask about species I'm told "red" or "white" in French.  Some of the workers there give me a local name of sitoo/sisso/sippo for the red one.  Unfortunately, they speak a dialect I haven't (and won't have time) to learn, so still working on a confirmed ID.

I am using Sipo (also known as Utile) in a current build and I can tell you it is a dramatic improvement over Khaya.  It does not tear out like Khaya, has a nicer color, and more interesting grain.  It is closely related to Sapele.  Terry is using it for his nightstands that he is journaling.  You don't see it much in the states, but it must be common in Europe.  It is what festool uses for their outdoor dominos.  

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm not great at tracking my progress here, and things tend to go in fits and starts.  But, I made it to the lumber yard last weekend and got all of the wood for the build.  Turns out the first guy was in fact, full of crap on the species and the sourcing.  I talked to the boss, all of the wood is imported from Cote D'Ivoire, and is simply "Bois bu Xonc" or "Bois Rouge" a nameless red species that is nearly as heavy as hard maple.  I'll get pictures up of the wood once I get time to start planing - I think the leg material might be a different species...

Here are a few pics of the yard and the pile.  Unfortunately no picture of me riding the "charette" (horescart) made from a car axle and oil drums, pulled by a horse more bones than flesh...

large.20150906_113214.jpg.57f4c977ca2099large.20150905_164045.jpg.383399ae554bf3large.20150905_164027.jpg.a5eab28c7fb4d4large.20150905_150916.jpg.7cc0946e6fff21

• Like 1

• 1 year later...