Attaching legs for easy removal

I've finally stuck a flag in the ground and said I'm going to build my home office furniture in a Campaign style, not sure how i settled on that but I think i have. I'm wanting to make it true campaign style that could be easily knocked down and carried to the next battle site. My desk is going to be relatively simple but I'm struggling on how I can attach the legs in a way that would be easily removal without hardware. I was initially thinking a sliding dovetail but i've convinced myself that won't work how i want.

Here is the inspiration for my desk and the basic design i plan to build. How would you attach the legs?

desk5.thumb.jpg.5ea28e4e23c740173c1ca136

Sawhorse style legs don't have to be "attached" at all. You coyld include some ribs ir grooves on the bottom of the desk that the sawhorse "backs" fit between so it doesn't slide around.

I was thinking about a groove with the frame of the top extending down to prevent it from sliding forward or backward but I was concerned about it lifting off the legs. I guess if I'm not happy with it i could add a table lock (like used on a dining table extension) underneath. 

Dominos or slip tenons without glue. Should be solid and would be fairly easy to remove when you need to invade the next country....

Well... China is coming! If not them, then Iran. 

Yes I agree with Cindy. Some of the campaign furniture I have seen has small chests of drawers making two pedestals positioned either side of a resulting knee hole. AMCapdeskMF014Bl_pr_lg.thumb.jpg.99b8650

Then the desktop simply lays on top of each pedestal - no fixings.

Alternatively try this type of sawhorse arrangement - again no fixings required. (Supply your own uniform :) )

AMnavMF022bl_pr_lg.thumb.jpg.c49a97083b3

• Like 2

AMnavMF022bl_pr_lg.thumb.jpg.c49a97083b3

Thanks for the pic! I was actually planning to make the inside legs at 90deg like this to help with the "knee knocker" issue but hadn't considered putting shelves on them. It removes from the traditionalness of it being able to break down into the smallest possible parts but I really like this. I'm at least 6 weeks from starting so I'm sure things will change a dozen times before then.

What about using table leaf pins? I used brass pins from Rockler on a sewing cabinet for my wife and they lock in really well. In my application, I added a countersunk brash washer around the female hole so that the male end wouldn't scratch the wood while you are lining them up. I would put the male end on your base and the female side on your table top

_20150904_153746.JPG

I think the top will be heavy enough that lifting up in normal use won't be a problem. Shop bents could be used for legs, if the desk is set against a wall racking won't be a big deal.  Shop bents (also known as Krenov saw horses) look fragile, but are actually quite strong.  Using your groove and frame idea you would have a desk that breaks down for travel qucikly and into a small package.