Maloof low back dining chair

Brendon_t

While I was online looking for a cool maloof article to send a friend, I came across many pictures of the low back dining chair. 

After some looking around, I've decided to build two of these chairs as end seats for my dining table which only has two benches on each side. 

I'm hoping that building these two chairs will get my head right for building the rocker after that.  

The joinery is all the same, the sculpting which I'll admit does give me pause and I'd rather cut my teeth on these than the rocker.

If all my research on gargle so far,  I haven't seen any threads on this chair here.

Has anyone built one?  Anybody ever sat in one? Felt one? 

image.jpg

Edited by Brendon_t

I bought the Brock plans and all the walnut and I was an impulse away from doing it last winter, but I got distracted and haven't yet returned.  I will be building a pair in the future as soon as it's logical to do so.  They're in the top three on my bucket list.  Labor intensive...basically the same as the rocking chairs minus the rockers and a few other details but plus other details...but then times two.  Lots of sculpting.

I also really like the low back dining chair.  I actually bought the plans and DVD before I signed up for the rocker guild build.  I plan to build this chair for our dining room as well but not sure when I will tackle it.  I know that I will do it after I finish the rocker.  If you do decide to move forward, please share your experience, perhaps a journal.  I look forward to it.

Edited by wnaziri

I did, out of poplar. I found out that I needed to be more aware of where the dominos should not be located   Further from the edges - sounds obvious, but I didn't realize how much material I would be removing in carving under side ofthe seat.  I was also more aggressive in shaping on the second, walnut stool.  I'll be moving soon, but once in the new place I really want to build more chairs in this style, shaping is really fun. 

Barron, was yours a project journal or showcase and do you remember when. The reason for asking, I ordered the plans after seeing yours, but never took it any further but would like to. How does Brock's online videos work, you subscribe until you finish?

Sorry Brendon, this is only a temp hijack!

Edited by K COOPER

Barron, was yours a project journal or showcase and do you remember when. The reason for asking, I ordered the plans after seeing yours, but never took it any further but would like to. How does Brock's online videos work, you subscribe until you finish?

Sorry Brendon, this is only a temp hijack!

ken your not permitted to hijack until you get a proper avatar.

Edited by Brendon_t

I ordered my plans before the current video class setup. I used a video 'book' that combined photos, narrative and videos. I can't speak to the current teaching process.  Based on what I used I think it would probably be pretty good.

I am probably behind times and didn't do a video or even photo blog.

Next big project.