epoxy sealing in inlay

duckkisser

i have a turning that is full of cavities and i want to fill the cavities with a epoxy filler.  but the gaps go all the way through.  so i need to seal up one side to put the epoxy in.  does anyone know of a way to cover the back of the gap so that its sealed all the way around and my epoxy wont leak out.   for example i thought of using packing tape but it crinkles too much and i have tiny gaps where the tape does not stick to the wood.  i had thought that maybe the tape they use for duct work might be what i need but i have never used it and dont know how well it will seal around the cavities. 

i have been doing that for a while at least the tape part put since this is on a turning there will be alot of curved sides and bottom which increases the likely hood of creases in the tape allowing the epoxy to leak out. that has been the problem in the past.  so i bought this https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444423323869-c-13381.htm?tid=-6658007955951773744 it has a tight seal i tried pouring a little water into each gap and its tight held it like a cup.  much better then painters tape or anything similar. will be difficult to get off but ill just put it on my lathe and cut it out or sand it out when its cured.