Question about a used router

WesF

Hello All, I am very new to the woodworking world and found this site recently. I read a post where someone said always check Craigslist for good deals so I did. I've been looking for a router and I actually came accross a DeWalt planer. However in the description the man mentioned he had a lot of other tools including a router so I emailed him. This is what he is offering and I want to know if this is a good deal or not. This is was his reponse "  the router is a "frued" 3-1/4 horsepower high quality super heavy duty 1/2 inch shank 300 $ for freud router table and three bits that are new that total 125$ a tongue and groove bit costs 70$ and two cabinet joining bits cost 89$ new in box." So he is asking $300 for all of this. I tried to find out more info on the Freud router and table online but seems like they don't make it anymore. Thoughts? Thanks

Sounds like a Freud FT3000.  Freud routers made a bit of a splash around the year 2000.  They had above the table features and a long extending arbor/collet all of which made them attractive for table routing.  The price was in line with other competitive products.

Surf the forums and you will find folks who have been running them for years.  The downside is that which comes with any discontinued product; parts availability.

Router bits can be poor to good.  His email does not make it clear that the router bits are Freud but, the new prices he quotes are about in line with what Freud bits of that type cost.

Freud router tables were generally benchtop style although they did offer a couple of floor standing models before they moved away from this market.  Pictures would help.

If you need the bits, then this is definitely a good deal, but those bits are fairly specialized (if they were roundover bits, straight bits, chamfer bits, etc then you would use them often but I'm not sure whether you have a project that needs those specific bits)

A  3 1/4HP router is $300 new, so the router is $150-200 used. I would probably put a value of $50-100 for a benchtop router table and $100-150 for a floor model, but on things like router tables there is a huge variation in features, quality, etc.

I have a Freud benchtop router table that I bought from a garage sale for $20 and it looks nice. I have never put it together - I bought it because it was so cheap so that I would have a benchtop router table if I ever needed it or for the possibility cannibalizing it for parts to be used on jigs, etc.

Of course, there is an inherent disadvantage to buying a product that has been discontinued, but realistically most people (myself included) don't repair handheld power tools beyond installing a new a power cord or a bearing so replacement parts wouldn't be a huge concern for me.

I bought that exact same set in 2005. A little over a year after buying the router it burned out. I bought another one and never had another issue. It worked well and was powerful. It was my only router at the time and I used that beast for table routing, handheld routing and bicep curls. The table is a decent table. Very light weight though with an mdf top with white laminate. The fence is a split style which is nice cause you can micro adjust them coplanar. Not having a lift with that router is a bit of a pain though cause you have to turn a big knob on the router from underneath the table. Doable but not fun.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This is what i had

e181fe1e5ca3dbbf65f220f126b3dbf9.jpg

0e121026adc227916b26328356404a1e.jpg

f057b153e246597aa165487daa834a10.jpg

Sounds expensive for a used router setup.  A lot depends on the model of the router and the table.  If it's the FT3000, and you are going to buy router bits like those anyway, and the router table is useful to you, I'd consider paying up to $250.  If the it's the FT2000E, absolutely not.  Nothing wrong with the FT2000, it's just not worth that much.  

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to pass on this router. I found another listing here is what's offered. "Bosch 1617EVSPK 2.25HP Combo Fixed/Plunge Router w/ Bosch RA1171 Cabinet Style Router Table and a bunch of router bits - $250 (paid around $200 for router, $150 for the cabinet and $90 for the set of bits)"  this seems like a better deal.  Thoughts? There are no pictures but I sent him an email requesting pictures.