interior divided light door

I'm looking to build a pocket door for our game room project.  In shopping for the shaper cutters i noticed that there seems to be two separate types.  Wood panel doors will have profile on both sides of the muntin whereas the glass panel muntins only have profile on one side.  I understand that it's so i can more easily replace a broken pane later on.. but is it really necessary to have the added complexity?  

Is there any reason not to use a dual profile for a glass panel door? --aside from replacing broken glass.

zGS9Jil[1].png

You would have to assemble the door around the glass and then sand and finish working around the glass. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I have seen interior divided light doors with wood trim holding the glass in place so that both sides have a similar appearance.

I hope you have a shaper and a coping sled for it . Building doors is not easy. Any slight inaccuracies add up very fast. Plan on extra material in case of mistakes or hidden flaws. I would do some practice work using poplar or something inexpensive to get set up. 

Good point on the 1/4" glass.  I hadn't considered how thick that glass would be until you mentioned it.  That alone makes a very strong point as to why the single profile cutter makes a whole lot of sense.

@Tom King Your post made me laugh :)  Yea, i'm 34 and i've yet to personally see a broken pane on a door.  We don't plan on having kids or dogs, and it will be a pocket door that's tucked in the wall 99% of the time.  I figured that'd make the probability low enough to be worth the risk.  However, i suppose i could even break one during in the installation process.

I do have a shaper that i bought early in the spring.  It's a used G1026 that i've yet to try out.  We bought a house last September and have been refactoring a decent bit of the interior to suit us.  I have quite a lot of trim work in my future.

One factor I hadn't mentioned is that I'll be making 5 solid panel doors in addition to this one divided light door.  Thoughts on buying these to tackle all of the doors?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/C2170 main set

http://www.grizzly.com/products/C2320 3/4" rabbet

http://www.grizzly.com/products/W1167 3/4" spacer