HAMMER TIME!

Rex Edgar

I took delivery of a HAMMER A3-31 combination planer/jointer on Thursday. The quality was noticeable from the out set. Packed/bolted to a pallet for the container ride across from Austria and then inspected and crated for transport to my home. There was a member here who had gotten a used machine and that is where I first heard of the brand, part of the FELDER Group in Austria. I had a less than satisfactory experience with an Asian made unit that was just a jointer. Up until a few weeks ago all I had was the DEWALT 735, which for what it is, is a decent machine for the low volume (board feet) hobbyist. I was able to sell it and the stand and tables for a fair price. Back to the HAMMER, this is a well made machine using quality materials. Attention to detail is evident in every aspect. I have no affiliation with FELDER, lol. I was waiting to inspect the machine before I decided on how to make it mobile. The FELDER GROUP offers an axle and nylon wheels for one end and a lever with wheels so that you can only parallel park the unit. I was hoping for something along the line of the SAWSTOP cabinet saw that will move in any direction. The base of the A3-31 is irregular in that the rear is about 3" wider than the front, making it a challenge to mount it on a rectangular carriage. I have decided to get the factory set up as it makes the most sense and does not change the working height of the machine. Then I'll cajole a buddy with a fork lift to raise and lower the machine to working height and install the axle and wheels. I got the minor assembly done, (the manual is not the best as far as text and pictures), and the electrical plug (220v) installed and jointed a few feet of boards. I am quite favorably impressed. I'll  include some photos and report more when I have some time in grade. Cheers

PS There was a member from Australia, Dave Stanton who shared his experience of bringing home a new jointer a week or so ago, to him I say "I know the feeling!"

The cage was nailed with one or two nails and then multiple TORX head screws. I started unscrewing and then got the saws all out, way too many screws, "Patience, Grasshopper!" \

"patients belong in hospitals!"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Congrats Steve, that is one sexy beast! You are really going ball to the wall man! Festool and now Hammer, im impressed. You're going to have one awesome shop. Did you buy the bed extensions? I think the beds are quite short on those units?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

b246268614f3e22086b90a6cd31ff244.jpg

3 minutes ago, shaneymack said:

Congrats Steve, that is one sexy beast! You are really going ball to the wall man! Festool and now Hammer, im impressed. You're going to have one awesome shop. Did you buy the bed extensions? I think the beds are quite short on those units?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

b246268614f3e22086b90a6cd31ff244.jpg

Shane, I got the short extension for the thickness out feed side. I can always get the longer ones if the need arises. When I had the DEWALT 735, it had relatively short infeed and out feed tables. I used roller stands when planing longer boards and there were no  issues. 

On July 16, 2016 at 4:23 PM, shaneymack said:

I was referring to jointing. You will be good for planing. Don't they make some sort of quick connect bed extension for the jointer bed?

They do.  There's a rail on the end of the infeed table. You can hang a short or long extension bed - I got the long one which had a peg leg to hold it up.

• Like 1

Congrats! Looks like they have made some improvements since I bought mine. I would love to have the fold up flat tables mine angle when they go back. I love my three knife cutter head but would guess the spiral cutter is even better! You are right about parallel parking the unit but you get used to it LOL I have mine set in a way that I only have to move it if I go above 8' in length. Another observation regarding the short table lengths; I figured I would buy the extensions at some point but honestly I have never felt the need. The only thing i'm still not sold on is the aluminum fence but I would buy this unit again hands down if I was in the combo market.

Very nice!!!! Looking forward to your thoughts on this when you get to putting in to work. Also interested in hearing how life with a 12" planer treats you. I am going to be purchasing some variation of this machine. I haven't seen too many real world reviews, just unboxing and happiness. Or, reviews from people that have only used combo machines.

5 minutes ago, Llama said:

Very nice!!!! Looking forward to your thoughts on this when you get to putting in to work. Also interested in hearing how life with a 12" planer treats you. I am going to be purchasing some variation of this machine. I haven't seen too many real world reviews, just unboxing and happiness. Or, reviews from people that have only used combo machines.

While I am waiting for a buddy with a forklift, I added a 220 plug and jointed a few feet of rough lumber. There is hardly any noise, sorta sounds like a jet spooling up. Adding DC and the noise point is moot. The lever for amount of cut is very stiff, but they tell me that is normal. The cut quality is first rate (lowest removal setting). The machine is asymmetrical in foot print, so I recommend the factory mobility kit. I haven't figured out how Felder keeps the two tables co-planar, when they are in the raised position, there is some play between them. After locking the tables down they return to their previous position. I am doing a few beta projects (cheap lumber before making expensive sawdust), I grabbed a piece of OSB and if you are mindful, it produces a nice finish. 

In my experience, the Felder Group's customer service is excellent. I dealt with the Wilmington, DE office. Depending where you are located, they have offices in TX and CA

A Member mentioned the aluminum fence' it is easily adjustable for 90 degrees and squares itself when locking. Haven't tried the angle up to 45 degrees.

In summary, yes an expensive machine, but you didn't get into woodworking to save money. A welcome experience compared to the Asian offerings. And the old adage of "you get what you pay for".

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Llama said:

How is this thing in action? May be buying one sooner rather than later. Is 12" planer really enough? 

I can't be happier. Sounds like a jet engine spooling up. I opted for the spiral cutter and the cut is super. I was looking to get rid of some OSB, so I ran a piece through the machine. A remarkable finish on the strand board. You do need access to a fork lift or you need to build a ramp and then use the manufacturers mobility kit. The reps in Delaware put me in touch with a guy near me that invests in the higher end FELDER unit. One Sat. Morning we got together and I got a look at a comparable unit. The quality was impressive. I haven't tried it with mine yet, but he ran end grain through the jointer with no worries. I don't see ever needing a full 12", but it is nice know I can. If you have any specific questions or want some photos other than what's posted let me know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Llama said:

How is this thing in action? May be buying one sooner rather than later. Is 12" planer really enough? 

Llama if I was buying another combo machine I would buy the A3-31 again without question. Having said that if I had the space I would probably go with separate machines not necessarily for a wider planner (although i would go wider) but because even though you can switch over in about two minutes it seems like I always need the other function and that can be frustrating, at least for me.

7 minutes ago, Rex Edgar said:

"I haven't tried it with mine yet, but he ran end grain through the jointer with no worries. I don't see ever needing a full 12 inch" 

I have when I was building my Roubo no issues at all. I have the 3 knife head and it provides awesome results even on a full width pass. I also used almost the full witdh on my tool chest build. It was soft wood but still an impressive cut

• Like 1

My biggest hesitation are the 12" planing thickness, and the changeover.. Seem to be the only drawbacks.

I do like the form factor, and the high build quality of the units.

Has either of you (or anyone else!) had any issues with setting the tables coplaner? After watching the videos about 100 times, there doesn't appear to be an adjustment. 

Thanks for the help!! 

16 minutes ago, Llama said:

My biggest hesitation are the 12" planing thickness, and the changeover.. Seem to be the only drawbacks.

I do like the form factor, and the high build quality of the units.

Has either of you (or anyone else!) had any issues with setting the tables coplaner? After watching the videos about 100 times, there doesn't appear to be an adjustment. 

Thanks for the help!! 

I have never "set" the tables nor have I ever had a need to, in the 10+ years I've owned the machine, so I cant help you there. Change over is probably my only real real/perceived issue although the aluminum fence is not my favorite. The cut quality is amazing especially for $40 knives that can be flipped/aligned in about 3 min. You are right on regarding form factor and high quality of the unit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rex Edgar said:

except when you miss one board........

Yep this is me all to often :)

Like I said not a huge issue and to go separate would require to many other changes in my shop at this point so I have no plans to change. The other thing I would be concerned about now is that this machine in so accurate with amazing cut quality would I be kicking myself if I did change.  

• Like 1