ARS slurry?

treeslayer

ok, so i'm building another jewelry box this one with box joints on the doors and the fit on the joints is pretty good but not perfect (very small gaps) thanks to my very sub-standard dado set, my question is can i make a slurry with sandpaper and ARS like you can with watco oil finish to fill the small gaps? lots of joints to fill so epoxy and sawdust would be a real pain, thanks guys

I wouldn't. ARS is diluted varnish.  Watco is a mix of oil varnish.  The ARS will cure too quickly. If you have some ARS and want to use it, mix it with BLO and mineral spirits, roughly 1/3rd each. 

There is/was a thread here recently about the box joint jig for the router table. There was rebuttal about it not being as hands on as cutting them on the ts. I've been using one for years and it's not fool proof, but once dialed in, in sure makes some tight joints.

8 hours ago, K Cooper said:

There is/was a thread here recently about the box joint jig for the router table

thanks coop, i have used my leigh for box joints and it works great but in this case i'm cross grain joints and the risk of them blowing out is great (read experience speaking)

8 hours ago, TIODS said:

CA glue and sanding while wet will fix the issue as well before applying any finish

i'll give that a try first Kev, i have some CA glue around here, thanks

11 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Kev, how do you keep the CA from gumming up the sandpaper? I end up rubbing dust into the gap, flooding with thin CA, then sanding after it dries.

It  will gum up the paper a bit but, it doesn't hurt anything.  You're just creating that slurry with the CA which dries super quick and does a nice job of filling little imperfections.