Router Lift Upgrade

woodbutcher74

Got some $$$ from Christmas was was looking to upgrade my router system. Comparing the Incra Master-Lift II to the Incra PRL-V2. The PRL-V2 seems to be the same as the Woodpeckers model only Incra uses magnetic clearance rings. Any opinions? Also looking to upgrade my dedicated router. Has anyone used the Portamate? I know several of you has mentioned the downward spiral of Porter Cable, is the 7518 that bad? Any suggestions on a router? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the Incra MasterLift II and I am really pleased with it but I don't have any experience with any other to compare,  I really like the magnetic inserts, no rattling while the machine is on.  I purchased the slotted set and it really improved the dust collection.  The lift is actually made by Jessum for Incra I believe.  I actually have the whole Incra fence system and really like all the features.  As far as the 7518, the thing is a beast and well worth the money.  I don't know where you heard bad things about it but there are a number of people here that run it in their table and are pleased.  You can get the motor only if you are going to dedicate it to the table.

• Like 1

I have the Jessem Master Lifter with a Milwaukee 5625-20 router motor in a router table I built as the left wing of my table saw. I really like the combo, especially Milwaukee router.

Since I built it, new things have come out. If money wasn't an object, I would get the General cast iron router table, the General four post lift and the Milwaukee motor. The combination has better rigidity. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, woodbutcher74 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Chet K, I have read several topics on this forum from people who have stated they have used 690's for years and that the newer ones are not the same quality. I assumed that all models of Porter Cable had declined in quality. 

I purchased mine about this time last year, March I think so unless something has happened to the quality of the 7518 in the last 12 - 14 months...  And it has been given a work out in the last few months.

• Like 1

Been driving a PRL-v1 with a Milwaukee 5625 for about a decade.  Works just like it did the day I put it in.  As to the shift in quality?  I think we all know its a race to the bottom for some of these brands.  Thank goodness for the forums where you can hear from people who have had "them" for years and folks who have had "them" for months.

Again thanks for the replies. A $600.00+ purchase is a big deal for me. I really want to get the best bang for my buck. I have always "gotten by" and as I approach retirement I want to invest in equipment that will hold up so I can spend my time building projects instead of cobbling stuff. Thanks again.