I've got these legs, you see

collinb

This is a question of both style and how-to.

These maple legs are to be used on my small hall table project. They're tapered on two sides.

My first thought is ...

1) The front legs should get a third taper for symmetry. The third taper would go to the back

2) The side legs would be left with two tapers, one to the back and the second to the inside.

Wondering what others think of this, or if there's another idea you might have for such a layout.

(I've also acquired a turned-leg solution. Stair balusters have the same dimension -- 1.25" square top -- and, after I remove the bottom block section, they become a nice leg of the same height. But that's another post. I prefer the straight legs.)

legs.jpg

table.jpg

Nice looking table.  I thought I had an answer until I saw the arrangement of the legs.  Now I am not so sure. The idea of a third taper has merit but I can't be certain it won't look strange.  I would take some junk pine from a 2x4 and cut samples to see what it looks like.  Then decide.

• Like 2