• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Handi

Handi
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:Handi75

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

Can I add boiled linseed oil over top a cherry stain? Or is boiled linseed oil like a stain and it would bleed out the cherry?

#2 John Fitz

John Fitz

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationMansfield MA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

What are you trying to accomplish? I think the typical uses of BLO and stain are mutually exclusive. I would definitely worry about the BLO would "ruin" the stain, especially if wiped on.

#3 CessnaPilotBarry

CessnaPilotBarry

Master Poster

• Mentors
  • 1,643 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, CT, USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

It depends on the stain...

Some stains use varnish binders that seal the wood. Oil applied after these stains may not penetrate. Other stains are all dye, and don't seal the wood. The oil should penetrate these, but may do weird things.

So I'll also ask... Why?

#4 TimV

TimV

Journeyman Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 548 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:38 PM

simple answer for me, you can, but don't. :)

#5 Handi

Handi
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Twitter:Handi75

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

Thanks for the replys. Well the wood I am using is I think pine. It's a harder pine. Not the soft pine from 2x4's. Anyway the customer wants it stained cherry. I'm in my 3rd coat and it's not getting as dark as I think she'd like it. So I don't know lol. I'm new to the staining and all that jazz. Usually I just put on stain let dry and apply poly. I got some BLO but wasn't sure it's use I guess. Didn't kkownid maybe it would work together or what. I don't have shellac or anything like that. VERY limited on finish supplies. I got cherry stain and 2 gal of poly oh ad a chestnut gel stain. Any help is appreciated.

#6 Mark Reuten

Mark Reuten

Apprentice Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

The linseed oil will not help your cause and it may just make matters worse. I would either keep trying to get the stain right or tint some poly down to the colour you want and apply as many coats as you require to get the colour right. The pale colour of the pine will keep fighting you on this one.
You mention the pine being "harder" and I wonder if it isn't something in the fir family which can be very difficult to take stain well. I'll bet you keep getting winter growth rings coming up pale, right?
Try this solution. Mix some of that cherry stain in with some poly. Test a dab on some scrap to make sure it was compatible and will still dry. If so, try it on a discreet area of the furniture piece and see if it achieves your goal.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cherry, finishing

Support the forum by shopping with our affiliates!

Shop Woodworking | Rockler Woodworking & Hardware | Amazon.com

Advertisementbellforest200x200-tww10 Image Map