One Year Later (roughly)

Imaginos

It seems like most of the Roubos build built for this project are approaching a year old, so I thought it might be instersting to see what we've collectively noticed about how the benches have performed. I'm guessing that between most of us we've have a reasonable number of projects, accidents, seasons, and whatnot to cast a fairly wide sample size.

My bench, (SYP flavor) needs flattened again. Mostly because there's some areas where a few unfortunate incidents have made it rough (or just hardened up) the waterlox finish I put on it, and there are some annoying dings and craters I'd like to leve out....but mostly because I didn't do it completely right in the first place and there are some high spots I want to address. I am, overall, very happy with a waterlox finish. It's a but slicker than I would like, but most glues and finishes wipe up very easily, and dry PVA glue pops right off if they were missed.

I've been having difficulty with the leather adhereing to both the chop and the dogs. Out of a dozen or so, the leather stayed put on only three of them over the course of the year, and it's starting to peel up off one end of the chop, again. I've casually tried two different spray adhesives, both 3M products (a red can and a green I seem to remember) and finally broke down last night and applied some West 105 to see if that'll do it.

I never did get around to building the tool-storing divider. At the time I glued up some SYP to make a filler boad for runing a bench plan across the gap without the toe dipping in. While I have put clamps (and other stuffs) through the gap on more than one occasion and I'm damned grateful that I could, the solid filler strip lives in there every day and I'm pretty confident that I like it that way.

Humidity is an issue (costal Virginia garage shop...summers are swampy), and that has manifested as slight surface rust on the vise screws, particularly in the thread lands. Came right off with a quick pass of steel wool. Solved by a few T-9 treatments and then some Bostik.

It's still a fantastic bench. I'm curious what other's experience has been.

Mine is only going on 8 or 9 months, but so far she's been a champ.  The vises are still smooth as silk with no mainenance required (well, that's not entirely true...I do occasionally have to tweak the roller brackets on the leg vise, but only if I'm lazy and crank down a workpiece with the pin in the wrong hole...that tends to kick out the alignment).  I had the same issue with adhering the suede, but that's not the bench's fault.  I also originally used the 3M 90 stuff...insufficient.  Contact cement did the trick.

Only issue I've had is the Spax screws holding the slabs down came a little loose and made them a little sloppy...also not the bench's fault...I moved the thing around about a dozen times when I did a major shop rearrangement a few months ago, and because of my nowhere near flat garage floor, the slabs ended up out of coplaner after all the moving.  I used shims between the slabs and the rails they rest on, and torqued the Spax screws back down...good as new and dead flat.  The slabs themselves have not moved at all, at least not detectably.

The top has a nice collection of bruises, dings and scratches, but they don't bother me.  It's character.  I just used BLO for finish, and it's been fine.  I don't glue on my bench unless there's a reason I need to for clamping options, and I'll use wax paper when I do.  Dings are one thing...I don't want glue on my bench.

I love the split top.  Before, during and immediately after the build, I wondered how useful it would actually be...turns out it's very useful quite often.  It's great for holding chisels and other tools that want to roll around, and I can't say how many times I've been really happy I can remove the gap stop and get clamps in there.  Many.

It's a perfect bench for me.  I have no complaints or regrets. 

Every time I use, or even look at my bench I am glad I built it. I have used the split top gap frequently, and even more often I use the opening in the gap block to hold tools. The hardware is great, but I too ave had the same problem with the suede coming loose. No biggie, I just re-glue it.

I knew I would be moving not long after completing the build so I used the knock down hardware. The movers just put the whole thing o

the truck. It survived the move from Arizona to North Carolina without any problems. A few cut, scratches and dings from use, but that just gives it character. I probably should flatten the top soon, but that would remove the character, so perhaps I'll wait.

Don't use the center gap for much... Maybe someday...

I've a few dents and stains...  Funny, when I got my first ding it was kind of like the first ding you get on your car...  It took me a moment to remember that's it's a bench... not a piece of furniture...  funny how that ding still bothers me...  Marc should have had a last video on distressing the bench to just get it over with...

I used the 3M contact cement that was recommended by BC for the suede.  I was a bit wary at first, but it's held firm on the vice and dogs...

I went square dogs and looking back, I'm glad I did...but not sure i'd go through that again...  This bench replaces a smaller roubo with 3/4 round dogs and the squares are nicer, but not overwhelmingly so.

Did a couple of mods to the bench:

To make the thing movable, I screwed 4x5 inch x 3/8" UHMW pads on the bottom of the legs... It provides just enough 'slip' that you can move the thing by yourself, not not so much that regular tool work will move the bench...

I attached some 2-gang outlet boxes to the stretchers for routers/etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I love my bench -- I just wish Benchcrafted had the new pin-less scissor vice available when I built mine. I didn't think the leg vise pin would bother me, but I find myself getting very annoyed whenever I have to move the pin for the vice. I guess I use it more than I thought I would.

I have the same problem with the suede not sticking to the chop, it easily peels off. Maybe I'll try the contact cement that someone mentioned.

Dustin