Going to NYC to talk about Japanese tools

wilburpan

Any chance of a video recording of it?? I would love to go but Minnesota to NY, notta gonna happen! Hope you and everyone that attends have a blast. Nate

I'm a bit nervous about taping my first real attempt at a comprehensive talk on Japanese tools. It's sort of like making a video of the first time you made a dovetail. ;)

try taping a "dry run" before you go, and review that.  I've found that does help.  

Last semester, I had a Speech course that used video as part of the self-review process.  I found it very helpful, and even more helpful when I knew where the camera was going to be.  Not sure what camera or microphone settings were used, but I never saw a mic in the classroom...  (and the camera was behind one of those security bubbles, so there was no tell-tale light to worry about.)

The first time is always the most nerve-wracking, but you eventually get used to it.  Especially with more practice.  It is another witness to the talk, but one that cannot be distracted by shiny tools or interesting wood curls, so be aware your body might hide some of what you're doing.

Ditto on what JHop said about the dry run.

I do the occasional webinar for work and I have found recording myself going through all the material is a huge help. It build confidence, helps you control your pace and helps you understand if you should omit or expand anything you are talking about.

Ugh, that reminds me I have one to prep for next week