Tool Chest

G S Haydon

Nothing new here, it's a tool chest! I stumbled across some images of the "Anarchists Tool Chest" during the Christmas holiday and really liked the aesthetic quality of the chest. A chest seemed a good idea for my needs as I don't have fixed area to work in, just some space on a mezzanine storage level at work.

post-11619-0-78223500-1366500125_thumb.j

I didn't buy the book "The Anarchists Tool Chest", the main reason being It's not so easy to get hold of in the UK. Although I could of If I really wanted to. I made use of the free cutting list and other content on the Lost Art Press blog and also the PBS show the Woodwrights shop which gave a 25 minuet overview of the piece. 

post-11619-0-43503900-1366500164_thumb.j

I made a few changes. I dropped the saw till down lower to allow the bottom drawer to slide all the way to the front. I also added a 7.5mm radius bead to the plinth and a scotia to the underside of the upper rail in place of the chamfers.

post-11619-0-11922800-1366500242_thumb.j

Next job is to tune the tools and give them a home in the chest.

post-11619-0-86092400-1366500271_thumb.j

post-11619-0-22758800-1366500300_thumb.j

Looks great but (gasp!) painted?!? :D .  I like how it's monogrammed. 

I'm a wall-hanger guy myself...Schwarz almost had me convinced I wanted a chest, but then I remembered I'm too lazy to bend over and dig.  I need to build a new and bigger tool cabinet soon...maybe that'll be my next journal.

Good job, Graham!  Heirloom...

Thanks Eric,

I have posted this in the critique room too with more images and description. I would agree on wall hanging. All our guys have things hanging near the bench. I just don't have the luxury of a fixed work area in our shop so a chest was good for me. Painted was because I wanted to reflect the cart axle that I was fortunate to find out on a site. Thanks for the kind feedback  :)

:D

Thanks for the kind comment. With the tools inside it's a forklift job  :). But that's ok, it's on castors and all joking aside two people can pick it up just fine. I will be adding some handles on the side. I have not yet decided on Wood or Wrought Iron yet. I will only be putting tools in once I have tuned them up. It would be an interesting experiment to weigh it after it's fully laden. 

C Shaffer,

Thanks for the feedback. I think it depends on your work. A wall hanging tool system is great if you have only one main workbench and only work on that bench. I like you have often thought that a mobile tool storage system would be good when we make really big items. Instead of having to pick tools from a fixed position just wheel them all over to the job in hand (that's why mine has castors). But like anything natural selection normally means we end up with a tool storage system that suits are needs.