Simple Bookshelf

pghmyn

As the last project came to an end, my fiance wanted something else. Just a really simple and small bookcase to put in the corner of the room. She wanted it to be painted black, and she even remembered that poplar is really good with paint. So I decided I would whip something together.

I went to my lumber yard, picked up a 5/4 and 4/4 piece of poplar. Cost me $26 and some change. I plan to make the top 1" thick and the rest 3/4" thick. Something about a thicker top on furniture is aesthetically pleasing to me.

Here is the basic sketch up how it will look. The top dimension says 18" + x and the overhang of the top says 3/4" + x because if I choose to make the top bigger than 18" in the end. The width of the rest will stay static at 16.50"

4e28f0b8-35b9-4392-88c2-8ec9556a4e02_zps

Here is the lumber with both sides and edges passed over the jointer. Only about 3/32" of material was actually removed. I do this so I expose the grain a little more to help with acclimation. Does it scientifically work, I don't know. Does it make me feel good because I can see the wood grain, yes. To each his own. Not looking to have anything square, parallel, perpendicular, or coplanar. Just expose the wood.

a7eaf8bd-4c74-4998-8f77-99b4e04041f5_zps

After seeing all the different color variations between light cream, dark cream, brown, and green - I can tell why this is usually painted :)

Oh, I didn't mill the lumber directly after buying. It has been sitting for a few days now, and now a few more days it will sit to final acclimation.

Not really much to this project, except furthering use of mortise and tenons. At least that's what I think they would be called in this case.

Here are the joints that I used to connect everything. They are about 1/2" wide, and 3/8" deep for the sides, and 5/8" deep for the top since the top is 1" thick.

28EA6B32-62EC-4E00-842D-7069611D802F-161

Look at those nice green colors of the poplar wood ;)

Nothing special with the putting together process. Glue in the joints, clamp them up, and good to go. My fiance will be painting this piece black to match the furniture it will be next to.

Here is the finished product with some random stuff on it. It is not meant to be used for what it has on it now. She wanted it for all her school books and whatnot.

FB03AC3F-0271-4545-A41C-4013E530F306-161

I have gotten good results with black dye and a clear top coat. This lets you see the woodgrain. Nice on poplar, awesome on oak and ash!

Will it cover the different colors of the wood evenly? There are some pretty radical greens, whites, and browns.

Good job dude, nice and sturdy  ;)

Thank you. I did not add any lateral supports to protect from side to side rocking, but I doubt this bookcase will ever see anything other than downward force from books. It is going in a corner away from any normal people traffic.

Would the joints I used be considered mortise and tenons? Or would they be a variation of a dado?

Lastly, Steve, I talked to my fiance about paint or dye, and she said she still wants paint. She's the one finishing it, so it really boils down to her choice. I have never painted wood before, and my painting experience is only one time painting my bedroom when I was 10. So, what is the most basic process we can do to get this bookcase looking good with black paint? Do we have to use a separate primer and main color, or can we use a paint with a primer in it? Do I sand between coats on something like this, or do I just add on evenly?

Start with a thin coat and let it dry overnight, sand lightly to remove any raised grain , fuzz and flaws. Then thin coats until you are happy with the results. I wouldn't bother with a primer, just use an enamel paint. Satin , semigloss or gloss is your choice. Oil base dries slower and smells but it can produce a beautiful finish. Latex enamel can produce a nice finish, just follow the directions on the can.

63D0E15D-628A-4DC4-8183-5A5990D1F1E0-690

Here is the finished product. Two coats of paint with a spray semi gloss finish on top. Turned out very good, actually. I don't like painting wood, but this fits in the room so well.

Those are about half of her books from school with a couple of mine mixed in.

Only really high one is the Dynamics book. Other ones are elementary math for teachers and stuff. I have my Statics, Calculus, Physics, and Engineering Economics book in my backpack still.

I am going to be a civil engineer, and my fiancé is going to be a elementary teacher.