Time Out Chair

mar10

I was asked to make a “Time Out” chair for my Great-Nephew.  This is a design I came up with, however I was told that it is too “child friendly”.  I am interested in other designs.  Also any help with dimensions would be greatly appreciated.

post-6734-0-97672000-1369364767_thumb.jp

Hi  Roger

Would you mind if I forwarded this to my niece?

Thanks for posting

Not at all, go ahead and send it. It's a lousy picture taken about six years ago with my old camera but, I guess it gets the message across.  ;)

This particular bench was the second one. I made one for my wife to use in the guest room and my daughter wanted this one then my daughter in law had to have one also. It reminds everyone of the old, hard church pews of years ago, perfect for punishment of ill behaved children. :P  :lol:  :lol: 

Rog 

On a related note, I saw a mother spank her child in a Target store the other day.
Personally, I thought the mother handled it very well, she explained to the child that this was a consequence of the child's actions and that the mother didn't want to spank him. She didn't just beat the kid out of anger. ... Actually I was very impressed.

Having said that, I was still a little surprised nobody called the cops on her.

On a related note, I saw a mother spank her child in a Target store the other day.

Personally, I thought the mother handled it very well, she explained to the child that this was a consequence of the child's actions and that the mother didn't want to spank him. She didn't just beat the kid out of anger. ... Actually I was very impressed.

Having said that, I was still a little surprised nobody called the cops on her.

Edit: removed my post because it was off-topic.

• Like 1

The people who were outraged and wanted to call the cops were too busy threatening to count to three to a screaming child who already exhausted his fake cry and was now on his really-fake cry.  (I enjoyed that sitting right next to me at a restaurant two days ago)

That is the perfect example of the child knowing that "threats" mean nothing. A case of "actions speak louder than words", even if it is just a light swat to embarrass him a bit, means more.

I'm sick and tired of other people trying to control how I live my life and raise my family. That is why we have a lot of the problems in society that we have today, no one wants to take responsibility of teaching right from wrong and making it stick.

Even a "life sentence" only lasts for 30  years anymore.

Rog 

• Like 1

As much as I've felt like beating my three year old with a rubber hose at certain times, I haven't had to...never underestimate the power of a Dora the Explorer deprivation threat.  It's the small child's equivalent of water-boarding.

• Like 1

I'd make a simple backless stool.  Don't give them arms or a back or anything to lean against.  If the point of this is to teach a lesson why make them comfortable?

In my house, my now 5 year old has never been on a time out chair.  I just make her stand, hands at her sides, with her face towards (not against) the wall.  I've found the attitude gives out around the same time her legs do.  :D

• Like 1