Coffee Table

mdbuilder

This past weekend I finished up this coffe table I've been working on for roughly a month. Orders from the significant other were "it has to have drawers!" :)

The inspiration came from a stubbier version done by Chris Schwartz a few years ago in the magazine. The original was much narrower, only 2 drawers and constructed from largely plywood / biscuits and screws. My version is QWSO for the most part and all solid construction. The drawer box is held together with handcut dovetails which was a first for me. The legs are attahced to the sides with mortises and loose tenons. Drawer fronts attached with machine cut 1/2 blind dovetails. Finish is a coat of watco natural follwed by a coat of brown gel stain and a topcoat of few sprayed coats of lacquer.

post-989-009229700 1285351915_thumb.jpg

post-989-030410200 1285351923_thumb.jpg

post-989-067385500 1285351929_thumb.jpg

Definately a glue up :) there are 5 or 6 different boards in there. QWSO tends to be 5 - 7 inches wide at my supplier by the time you rip off the edges to get a straight board. The drawer fronts did all come from 1 board. Dunno about contrasting wood, maybe depending on the style of the room it is going in but for us I went with 1 species.

Very nicely executed. It reminds me that I have to build one out of cherry in my living room. Do the drawers slide open on both sides or are they stopped? I've seen some where they go both ways so it's easy to reach stuff in the back from the other side.

There is a back fitted in a groove so the drawers only open on one side. You could leave off the back easily enough and do drawers with a front on both sides.

Hi there like the clean lines very much. If you hand cut those dovetails and they were your first attempt. BE PROUD! Old fools like me never learned to do them with jigs and things so I suppose having always cut them by hand for more than fifty years I find the easy and very enjoyable. I hate to think what my first ones were like, hopefully they have long been burned. Well Done.

Pete

Hi there like the clean lines very much. If you hand cut those dovetails and they were your first attempt. BE PROUD! Old fools like me never learned to do them with jigs and things so I suppose having always cut them by hand for more than fifty years I find the easy and very enjoyable. I hate to think what my first ones were like, hopefully they have long been burned. Well Done.

Pete

LOL! Thanks. Now, I say "first ones" as in the first time I've done a case side like that. I did do a drawer for a shop cabinet once with like 2 tails <g>. And I have done 2 or 3 practice pieces say 5" wide. Once it worked and at least once I cut on the wrong side of the line so it came out a little loose :).

Also, I'm working on an Arts & Crafts style tool chest now, also by Schwarz. This one is in cherry, cherry is about a million times softer than white oak! I'll put some pics up of that as I get a little further along. I have the main case / shelves and dividers done. The 6 drawers and 2 divided light doors will take a while. The little $65 Lee Valley dovetail saw works great FWIW.

• 4 months later...

Quick question for you...was it just the color of the wood in the bright sun or is the vertical piece to the left of the left drawer that much darker than the rest of the wood no matter what kind of lighting you put the table under?

It is quite a bit darker, not quite so obvious when not in direct sun but still darker.

Great design with the space between the top and the drawers. Very functional, a good place for my woodworking magazines :) The only things I would change which have only to do with my personal taste are the hardware and not as shiny of a finish. Oh and like your joinery choices and execution!

Thanks for the comment, I think I agree on the shiny finish. My wife asked for a bench at the computer station in the kitchen so I threw this together over the weekend and finished it in satin. Looks better, especially with oak.

post-989-0-48564400-1298002637_thumb.jpg