Noob question with an air compressor

woodworkingmax

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new air compressor. Makita MAC700.

Most of the time I do my woodworking in the weekends and if the kids allow me. Having to small kids it's not easy to get time I wish I had for my hobby.

I Should keep it pressurized all the time or empty it of all the air after use? I don't want to stress the tank more than necessary. But I also don't want to stress the pump to fill the the tank every time I want to use it.

Also, how do you drain the tank of moisture after using it?

Thank you.

When you first setup a dry pump they recommend lubing the reservoir and then running the pump under no load for twenty minutes. This just let's you know that even light duty pumps should be able to run for long periods on start up. I have always drained air systems daily and let the water out of the tank that gets driven out of the denser compressed air. With attention to oil condition I have kept my original compressor for a decade with frequent heavy recycle use. It is around a 4.5 cu. ft. recycle rate and I have framed and roofed with multiple guns that tasked it pretty well. The compressors I have seen fail were either overheated by not paying attention to the oil or by being plugged into bad electric supply.

Hey WW. Welcome to the forum. It isn't necessary to bleed the pressure off, every time you finish using the compressor. Just hit the switch and turn the unit off. It will usually bleed  down slowly on it's own, in spite of all your efforts to make it air tight (I'm cynical at times).  Draining the tank should be done regularly, and depending on the humidity situation where you live, sometimes daily. If I have to spray finishes I often drain the tank several times a day.

if you live in a humid environment, draining condensed water from the tank is important for the longevity of the tool.  most folks don't bother to drain water every day -- it can be a pain in the butt...  you can [probably] get an auto-drain for your unit...  Makita probably has one and also quite a few are offered after-market...  i think if you look at northern tool, harbor freight, etc you can probably find one for less than $50.  it's basically solenoid-actuated air valve on a simple timer...  i think I've got mine set to drain for 5 seconds every hour between 9:00am and 5:00pm.

The most important thing is to drain the water regularly. That's what keeps the tank safe over the years. Compressed air is, bar none, the most dangerous thing you have in your shop (unless you also have an oxy-fuel torch). Sometimes on the smaller compressors the valve isn't directly on the bottom, which is STUPID. To drain the tank, tip the compressor over until the drain is the lowest point on the tank, then crack the drain valve open and rock the tank back and forth until it stops spitting water. If there's any pressure left in the tank by the time it's blowing dry (on tiny tanks, there's often not), just close the valve and leave it at partial pressure until next time.

if you live in a humid environment, draining condensed water from the tank is important for the longevity of the tool.  most folks don't bother to drain water every day -- it can be a pain in the butt...  you can [probably] get an auto-drain for your unit...  Makita probably has one and also quite a few are offered after-market...  i think if you look at northern tool, harbor freight, etc you can probably find one for less than $50.  it's basically solenoid-actuated air valve on a simple timer...  i think I've got mine set to drain for 5 seconds every hour between 9:00am and 5:00pm.

I have one of those on my big compressor. Pretty much a universal gizmo.

I got sick and tired of those awful tiny drain cocks at the bottom of the cheap compressors so i plumbed up a simple 3/8" ball valve with a 90 degree plastic hose connector with a plastic hose going to a little cup. when i ran framing jobs i would drain the compressor every night. there is no harm running that small makita every time you want to fill it up.. its made to pump air. the oil is something of importance to keep track of if you want it to last.