Bahama style window awnings.

Juicegoose

Just finished up a set of Bahama style window awnings. Built a total of seven with 16 louvers in each one. Material was pressure treated two by fours dried, Mill, and finished. Final product will be painted and installed using black Nickel hardware and hand forged Shutter arms. The production of the louvers took a lot longer than I thought. I think a total of 11 hours start to finish from rough 2 x 4 to finished louver I created over 230 louvers for the project.post-1842-13710449408125_thumb.jpgpost-1842-13710449491052_thumb.jpg

Bravo.  Certainly a lot of repetitive work and we'll look forward to seeing them finished and installed.

Only suggestion for next time would be to start with bigger lumber.  2x4's are the leftover rejects that couldn't pass muster as larger stock.  So, when picking through lumber at the home center, get the longest, widest board you can.  If that means buying a 16' long 2x12, so be it.  If they have 20' 2x12's, even better.   In theory, you'll get clearer and more stable wood that way.

Rob thanks for the tip. It makes great sense. Before i had bought lumber a created a cut list and the 12 2x4s worked so perfectly I couldnt fill a gallon ziplock with the waste. Certainly will look at larger lumber next time as well. Thanks. Also here is a pictures of the bahama shutter i built and installed that these will match. post-1842-13710643890267_thumb.jpg

The production of the louvers took a lot longer than I thought. I think a total of 11 hours start to finish from rough 2 x 4 to finished louver I created over 230 louvers for the project.

Anything you make that many times seems to take forever. Did you get any movement from the 2x4's?

Well I got the shutters up over the weekend. Think they came out nice. I did get some movement some louvers after I sprayed the paint onto them. I think the movement was a result of an overly heavy coat of paint(my fault) and the sun beaming on them right after i sprayed them.

Overall I'm happy but learned things for next time as well.

post-1842-0-38614500-1371729897_thumb.jp