Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

Pretty bad ass. Glad you like the purchase.

How hard is it to get the mortise perfectly centered on the piece? I have never seen a mortiser in person. And when I say perfect, I mean your version of perfect.

Sam, there are a few ways to attack this. I took my 6" ln ruler and put it against the fence and moved the table forward until i got it right where i wanted it. In this example, I used 3/4" stock and a 1/4" chisel. So, I set my table and fence 1/4" behind the chisel. While keeping the ruler in place, I verified that all increments on the ruler made contact with the front and back of the chisel. This method will get you as center as humanly possible. You can also make a test tenon the exact thickness of your chisel. I did this for my 3/8" test. I make my tenons on the table saw, so the tenon will be centered. You lock the test tenon in the clamp against the fence, facing the tenon towards the chisel. Line it up with the chisel. Once this is done, leave the front/back table adjustment alone, and use the lateral table adjustment to make the length of the mortise. Easy as pie. :)

Bye bye toolbox! It was very nerve racking watching the guys trying to get the box off the driveway. They got stuck at the end and decided to try and pivot the box sideways out of the pothole. I had to jump in and yell that they were going to tip the box, and if it started to tip nobody would be able to stop it. They finally got it out of the driveway and began the retardo routine again trying to get the box sideways on the lift gate. I had to help them do their jobs again and we successfully got it loaded and wrapped in blankets. I failed to get pictures of the loading because I was too busy doing their job for them. And the last picture is my messy shop minus the box now. Mo money and mo room!

post-3732-0-88804700-1394156774_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-58335900-1394156784_thumb.jp

I decided to go bare minimum from now on eric, with my current shop and tool purhases for now. We want to buy a house so i need to keep my focus on that and not get all loose cannon with my new found funds. Workbench is a must, and a tife mark gauge are about all i can justify for now. Im eliminating electric upgrade along with mini split and the fancy wall planking. Going to finish the second door and install them, finish insulating and close the walls up and start building furniture again. Next shop will be in my new home and i will invest in that one.

Well said, no sense in investing in the shop when it won't be your shop!

• Like 1

Well said, no sense in investing in the shop when it won't be your shop!

Tools are on the other hand a totally different story! But in all seriousness, I want to buckle down on the finances and focus on needs only. I have what I need to do the work I do right now, so I will just be shoveling money away into savings for a while. 

I mentioned that I'm in the process of selling a house right now...so I've been paying some attention to the market for the last year or so.  I'm not sure what the market is like in your neck of the woods, but around here, things are finally turning a corner and moving from a "buyer's market" to a "seller's market," which is basically the most boiled down way of saying demand and prices are starting to go back up.  You may want to make a move pretty fast, Freddie, and go get that house now.  Another housing bubble is pretty much inevitable, and you don't wanna be buying when the market is all inflated and interest rates are higher...like my wife and I did about 8 years ago. <_<

Carpe diem!

I mentioned that I'm in the process of selling a house right now...so I've been paying some attention to the market for the last year or so.  I'm not sure what the market is like in your neck of the woods, but around here, things are finally turning a corner and moving from a "buyer's market" to a "seller's market," which is basically the most boiled down way of saying demand and prices are starting to go back up.  You may want to make a move pretty fast, Freddie, and go get that house now.  Another housing bubble is pretty much inevitable, and you don't wanna be buying when the market is all inflated and interest rates are higher...like my wife and I did about 8 years ago. <_<

Carpe diem!

Big reason why I have become a considerable amount more involved in searching for a house. My mom is a part time realtor, so even though she doesn't sell all the time, she still has access to a lot more up to date information than I have.

I don't mind looking at the cheaper houses and knowing that work will have to go into them. My brother bought his first house for $70,000. I put in laminate wood floors in the kitchen and dining room, he put new carpet everywhere else. Electrical panel was upgraded, and so was a bit of the wiring around the house. New roof is being put on this spring, and siding to follow that. He raised the value of his home 20-40k (depending on market), and only spent 6-7k.

I would rather buy a house with some work to be done instead of buying a house with a freshly refinished bathroom, etc. How do I know the person before me didn't just quickly touch up the bathroom on the cheap and it will be leaking and molding the whole time I use it?

Freddie, being in the trades, a fixer up is certainly doable for you. Be careful whatever you buy, take your time and thoroughly research your needs and wants and your budget. Always go for location over anything else. You can fix practically anything, but you typically can't fix your surrounds.

Freddie, being in the trades, a fixer up is certainly doable for you. Be careful whatever you buy, take your time and thoroughly research your needs and wants and your budget. Always go for location over anything else. You can fix practically anything, but you typically can't fix your surrounds.

Precisely!

• Like 1

Almost exactly my thinking. I keep telling my fiance that I want a property with a big property. I can always add onto the house whenever I want, but I can't just take neighbor's property.

Well, I could, but that would be mean :)

If my wife and I had never planned on having kids, I probably would have bought an old abandoned building in a cool part of downtown, rehabbed the upper levels to be our home and built my shop downstairs.  But alas, life took me in another direction.

If my wife and I had never planned on having kids, I probably would have bought an old abandoned building in a cool part of downtown, rehabbed the upper levels to be our home and built my shop downstairs.  But alas, life took me in another direction.

Sorry for your loss Eric.  ^_^