Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

Thank goodness Heather is simple and not materialistic either. You know what it is, it almost seems like an extension of ones penis, buying a ring today. My uncle just bought one and all we have to hear about is how much it cost. Stupid I know, and I am tired of hearing, but I also don't want to hear about how cheap I am. They make ring shopping so hard today, some say you have to spend 3 months salary!!!

Pretty good way to sum it up. I have a guy that I work with that always attempts to "one-up" me with things that we talk about.

I refuse to reveal the cost of my fiance's ring, no one besides me needs to know. She wanted THIS ring since we started dating. I'm not talking a general idea of this ring, but THIS ring. She had it picked out and matched up with wedding dresses and what not. I guess this made it easy for me to pick it out.

That "x" month salary saying is horse %&$^.

I put my mortiser on a mobile base tonight. I got the HTC3000. Overkill, but I have one under my jointer and I liked it, plus it's only $80 at my local tool store. I hate that when you drop a machine in a mobile base it scratches the paint right off the machine, so I decided to build a wooden sub base. 3/4" bottom and 1/2" around the sides. The sides do nothing more than keep the machine away from contacting metal. This also provided the opportunity to expand the base's footprint slightly, making it more sturdy. I bolted the wooden cradle to the mobile base, then bolted the machine to the wooden cradle. the plywood floor now also acts as a second shelf, so I have plenty of storage within the machine. My new chisel sets along with the sharpening cones and lap files will be here tomorrow, then I am all set to go.

post-3732-0-98007700-1393808980_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-79815300-1393808985_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-08935300-1393808991_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I put my mortiser on a mobile base tonight. I got the HTC3000. Overkill, but I have one under my jointer and I liked it, plus it's only $80 at my local tool store. I hate that when you drop a machine in a mobile base it scratches the paint right off the machine, so I decided to build a wooden sub base. 3/4" bottom and 1/2" around the sides. The sides do nothing more than keep the machine away from contacting metal. This also provided the opportunity to expand the base's footprint slightly, making it more sturdy. I bolted the wooden cradle to the mobile base, then bolted the machine to the wooden cradle. the plywood floor now also acts as a second shelf, so I have plenty of storage within the machine. My new chisel sets along with the sharpening cones and lap files will be here tomorrow, then I am all set to go.

How heavy is your mortiser? I needed a mobile base for my b.s., but shied away from picking up the htc after reading some reviews about it. Most complained that it was not sturdy enough and would never come close to its rated 700 lb capacity. I have been thinking about drilling holes in the base of my b.s. like the Laguna.

Of course! I went to hf n got a bit. Nothing to brag about, my real bits will be here later today. The mortiser itself let me plow through 8/4 hard maple.

So how long until you post a video of you making a mahogany block front chest of drawers on YouTube? :)

I really want to get into those kind of builds, just to do it you know. I need to find a good source for information on those period pieces. Probably be looking at queen anne, chippendale and shaker. If anyone has good sources for in depth books or video pass it along.

I tuned up my mortiser bits today. Ran some test cuts, and they cut like butter, smooth, no overheating. The auger bit does trail outside the chisel line slightly. For a blind mortise this is still a perfect joint, mates with a tenon like a boss. But in my own anal way of things, I don't like the look of it, so I plan to file the outside of the auger bit down some until it stops. Got the bessey drill press vise today to use with the diamond cones on the drill press. For $17.99, can't beat it. 

post-3732-0-84568600-1393980650_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-73953500-1393980655_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-10472000-1393980661_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-38326700-1393980666_thumb.jp

• Like 1