Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

One of the advantages to surface mount boxes and conduit it the flexibility to chage it down the road when a new machine needs a different box and outlet. I ran my conduit down the wall at 48" high. Benches and machines fit below it, pegboard and cabinets go above.

I always go one wire gauge above code just to be safe. I also use the best outlets and switches possible. An engineer told me that CSA rated electrical equipment is a better standard than UL, apparently the Canadian standards are higher and they have more enforcement powers. If it's not CSA rated you can't sell it there, they pull samples from store shelves if it is not up to the standard it gets pulled ! UL is funded by the people it regulates. I have little faith in the Interteck or other international certifications. I could be wrong but I think this applies to all electrical devices and appliances .

The highlight of shop time tonight was putting together my new planer stand. It is very solid and now I can just wheel it where I need it. I used to have to pick it up every time I needed it and put it on top of something. Damn thing is 100 lbs. I will be picking up some electrical supplies tomorrow after work. 

post-3732-0-07999000-1391131750_thumb.jp

Its funny I am chicago and I think we might be one of the few cities left where rigid conduit and steel boxes are code minimum for residential.  No romex and no plastic boxes.  Whenever I see I picture of a panel with a bunch of romex hanging out or see it fished through a wall I think "i can't believe they let people wire houses with lamp cable."  :)

NYC is the same way. Armored cable everywhere... or use to be. Freddie, you do much work in the city, is it still code there?

Holy crap, I just noticed this thread today! I now have 12 pages to digest!

Where you been?

My electrician has me picking up materials and he will do the main hookups to save me money. Im grabbing a 125a main lug panel with 20 spaces. Not going to be maxing the panel but just to have the flexibility. He told me to get 4/3 romex to run to the main panel. I need 60 feet to get from the main panel to my sub. Does that size wire sound too overkill? My dad said i should only need a 6 wire, but if overkill is better then ill just grab the 4/3. Its 3.84 a foot from the electrical supply house. And is there code for outlet height in a garage? Or is there a preferred height for them for hooking up machines?

Listen to the installer, however, I will say that a 100A service usually is installed with 2-2-2-8 which is what I did my sub with. If this is a sub, what size breaker are you using in the main? If your going for a 60a sub then #6 should be sufficient, call and ask why he spec'ed what he did.

very easy, you apply wet with a buffer, then switch to a dry towel under the buffer to take up the excess and even the finish out. It has no film and little protection, so its not for everybody. We did another house that was featured in architectural digest, the customer requested the finish. We sanded off the old poly finish and when we were done she hated it because it had no shiny layer. Well, thats what she wanted!

And I cant believe the price went down so far on that penthouse! When we were in there in 2009 I believe it was going for 32 and an nfl player was looking at it. I dont know who because I could care less about sports :) well, except for monster trucks, I love monster trucks, front  row this weekend at the coliseum baby!

http://mjobee.com/projects&news/NEC%20Art%20310.15.pdf

100A call for #2 guage wire.

My shop has 60A breakers at the main box and has #6 gauge wire between the panels. Which is another reason I was careful to balance the load in the garage. And the big consumers are 240 or evenely split between the 2 phases.

lights -> split

AC, table saw, and dust collection are both 240. If all 3 are going I figure that is about 20A on each leg, or a total of close to 4,800Watts of power.

My toothed blade arrived today for my LN la jack, so naturally I was distracted playing with that. :) I finished ripping the old sheetrock down the back wall of the shop, and put the rest of the insulation I had up. I need to pick up more tomorrow, and I will call the electrician and pick his brain about what i need so I can start picking it up. Naturally, my shop is a complete tetris mess right now, nothing is usable due to the over cramming. At least we are making some progress though finally.

post-3732-0-77542600-1391229629_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-12290700-1391229634_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-17269900-1391229638_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-38563300-1391229642_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-34051000-1391229647_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-03942100-1391229654_thumb.jp