Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

My mom told me that the living room was cold, so I stepped up to the plate tonight and re insulated the inner wall of the garage for the living room. When I pulled the old stuff out, I realized it was R-9.6. I replaced it with R-15, much better. She is very happy now. 

I have been bouncing around the idea of waiting for the electric to go in then insulate and close the walls. Then there is the idea of sealing everything up and running power on the surface in conduit. My only "pro" for this is if we ever move I can take my stuff with me easily and reuse what I can in a new location. Are there any other pros or cons to this that I am not thinking of right now? 

post-3732-0-42016000-1391050485_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-99217600-1391050489_thumb.jp

Primarily just the cost. Coding for power in garages is minimal. Make sure you meet code in the usual way and remember, you may leave before someone you love is done with that space. :-) The conduit will eat up some space and will cost some money, but all commercial renters run power in this way so that the material can be easily stripped when they move and so they can meet specific needs in a space where they have no access to wall interiors. Also, if you run conduit you can buy bulk wire which usually saves you some over buying Romex.

Primarily just the cost. Coding for power in garages is minimal. Make sure you meet code in the usual way and remember, you may leave before someone you love is done with that space. :-) The conduit will eat up some space and will cost some money, but all commercial renters run power in this way so that the material can be easily stripped when they move and so they can meet specific needs in a space where they have no access to wall interiors. Also, if you run conduit you can buy bulk wire which usually saves you some over buying Romex.

Im not sure I followed all of what you said :) , but my electric is going to be done by a licensed electrician, I refuse to work with the stuff ever since my uncles friend told me to cut  a wire that was still live. 

You're right Tiods, many people on the forum know how anal I tend to be about things. I ultimately want a sleek and clean looking shop, but I couldn't help but humor the option for surface mount because it is so damn cold in there right now. I will refrain and do it the way I ultimately want.

You're right Tiods, many people on the forum know how anal I tend to be about things. I ultimately want a sleek and clean looking shop, but I couldn't help but humor the option for surface mount because it is so damn cold in there right now. I will refrain and do it the way I ultimately want.

As you should Freddie!  

Cold sucks!  You could cut and put up insulation for the remainder of the winter and pull it down for the electrical?

The argument for putting up conduit and wiring and then taking it down doesn't always work out especially on a smaller scale and in residential situations. The chances of it fitting in the new home is really slim. On commercial build outs, they have certain layouts and plans and basically recreate their footprints wherever they go - i.e. drop a wall wherever under the roof whereas in homes, that is not always easily done. I agree that in residential, the boxes will certainly be reused, but there will be waste in the wiring itself, which is the most expensive part..

I'm with TIODS and c&h...I'd hesitate about the conduit mainly because it'll be a PITA to hang cabinets or shelves around it.  Go get ya a couple rolls of romex and staple it in there.  Running the wire is easy and you don't have to hook it up right away.  I had pigtails hanging out of empty boxes for about six months. :rolleyes:

Try wiring a garage with 12ga romex in freezing temperatures and see if you still think it's anything like lamp cable. :D   That stuff gets STIFF.

That's what she said.  Sorry, had to say it before someone else did.

When I did my basement wiring, I went with all 10 gauge romex for the 110 and 220. I'd rather over-engineer the wiring instead of find out it wasn't enough and potentially dangerous, since I have never done wiring before.

I took my time, and check each connection a handful of times before finally sealing them up in the boxes. My hands were numb after running all that wire and tying up all those connections. Not quite freezing temperatures like you, but cold enough in the basement to hate that day. But, when it was all done, Sam said, "Let there be light!"

There were no lights in my room, so when I finally got to flip the switch and instantly flood the room with glorious light, it was a great feeling. And I really did say that.

Holy crap, I just noticed this thread today! I now have 12 pages to digest!

Get your coffee, it's a good one.
  • Like 1

My electrician has me picking up materials and he will do the main hookups to save me money. Im grabbing a 125a main lug panel with 20 spaces. Not going to be maxing the panel but just to have the flexibility. He told me to get 4/3 romex to run to the main panel. I need 60 feet to get from the main panel to my sub. Does that size wire sound too overkill? My dad said i should only need a 6 wire, but if overkill is better then ill just grab the 4/3. Its 3.84 a foot from the electrical supply house. And is there code for outlet height in a garage? Or is there a preferred height for them for hooking up machines?