Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

I have been consumed with work, we are finishing up a house and I've been putting in some sweet overtime. The garage has been dead again which sucks, but I was waiting for the toolbox to go. 

Same here... all work and no play makes jack dull! I've had some family in the hospital to boot... All is well now, but its been a ride. I really want to get back into the shop and organize, but haven't had the juice lately to do it. I saw the old auction ended, did the last bidder not pay?

In my experience you're better off getting rid of the reserve and just starting the auction at your lowest acceptable price.  Buyers hate reserves...and that includes me.  I pretty much ignore an auction if it has one because more often than not it ends up being a waste of time.

In my experience you're better off getting rid of the reserve and just starting the auction at your lowest acceptable price. Buyers hate reserves...and that includes me. I pretty much ignore an auction if it has one because more often than not it ends up being a waste of time.

Same feeling here. When I was bidding on planes I hated the feeling that maybe $0.50 more is hit reserve. But I don't want to bid that, find out it's not, and continue the awful cycle.

Freddie, are you a former mechanic? Or body man? It looks like you were more of a body guy judging by the tools. What made you get out? The box looked like it was in great shape. An amazing deal for the lucky buyer.

I painted, my dad bought me the box. I didnt sell my spray guns, those stay!

I have a friend that has been dating, and living with a girl for a little over 5 yrs. Sometimes I get on him about buying a ring, and he gets really annoyed. I have since learned not to tell another man when to buy a ring haha. 

Honestly, he is 27 and fights for a living. He probably isn't ready to settle down anyhow. lol

• Like 1

We are about to start looking into veteran opportunities and see what we have to do to own our first home together. I will get a ring, and we will get married, but we both know it is probably wise to look into real estate before dropping 10 grand on a ring. :)

• Like 2

We are about to start looking into veteran opportunities and see what we have to do to own our first home together. I will get a ring, and we will get married, but we both know it is probably wise to look into real estate before dropping 10 grand on a ring. :)

When I bought my fiances ring, I was in the same boat as you. Heck, I still am. I didn't want to spend the full amount on a ring, yet, because I want to save money for a house. Probably not an option for most, but what really worked for is is buying a stunning ring with the center stone being CZ. I won't say how much that cost, but it was still a pretty penny. She loved the idea because I told her now she can get a bigger better diamond when the time is right. She's already looking at $10k diamonds. Good lord.

The ring still has 32 diamonds surrounding a 2karat princess cut center stone. And she says my tools are expensive. I always bring up return on investment :)

I bought my wife's ring when we were still in college, so I got away without spending my life's savings...well, I had no savings at that point anyway. :lol:  I got her a smaller but "perfect" diamond for about 2 grand, and she was and has always been perfectly happy with it because she's not a materialistic psycho.  And honestly, she may have thought twice about saying yes to me had I spent an entire year's salary on a ring because that's just flat stupid and she wouldn't have married a stupid guy.  We did upgrade her wedding band and added more bling years later when we had more flow.

Good luck to ya Freddie. :)

We bought a $300 set hers and mine her diamond was so small I'm not really even sure it was even really there and kept them for the first 20 years before mine got so thin and grew into my finger. I replaced with a cheap titanium band and the wife got a 2 carat stone in a band she likes. My son in law bought my daughter a monster thing and brought it over to ask for her hand. We told him only if he took that dumb ass thing back to the store and used the money to buy a house. He did and both have been grateful.

• Like 2

Thank goodness Heather is simple and not materialistic either. You know what it is, it almost seems like an extension of ones penis, buying a ring today. My uncle just bought one and all we have to hear about is how much it cost. Stupid I know, and I am tired of hearing, but I also don't want to hear about how cheap I am. They make ring shopping so hard today, some say you have to spend 3 months salary!!!

Thank goodness Heather is simple and not materialistic either. You know what it is, it almost seems like an extension of ones penis, buying a ring today. My uncle just bought one and all we have to hear about is how much it cost. Stupid I know, and I am tired of hearing, but I also don't want to hear about how cheap I am. They make ring shopping so hard today, some say you have to spend 3 months salary!!!

Its crazy.  Pretty much off all my buddies have upgraded their wives rings about 10 years after marriage.  Here is a tip.  If you ever go house shopping look at the rings on the ladies fingers in that area.  IF they are all bigger than hers go to a different neighborhood.  It becomes a game of keep up with the other desperate housewives and p-whipped husbands.   My wife thinks it is dumb.  For now.  we are celebrating 10 years next month.  

If I spent 3 months salary on a ring I'd be wearing it on my penis to divorce court.

• Like 1

Don't believe that 3 months crap... It's just an old axiom, I doubt Trump spent 3 months salary on his ring to whichever wife, as he would have an eye to a better investment, just like in your case you already have a better investment in mind that would benefit both your futures and family life when that comes. Get a nice ring, something really nice that's quality and looks like something she would want and spend what you can on it. Don't be fooled into carat count, cut and clarity is more important as that is what makes it sparkle ;-)