Garage shop demo and remodel

Freddie

I need to fool around with layout now. This is a huge help with machine placement and now i have more options for infeed outfeed requirements without cramming things together.

I need to get my planer on a cart like you, and a mobile base on my table saw as well. I like my table saw where it is, but being able to move it when I don't need all that out feed space would be nice.

Sounds like a good time to buy the little lady a house.  If I had to ask my parents where I could put my dust collector, I'd have to make a change. ;)

Yea yea :) 

I was told I had to have excellent dust collection since I wanna heat and cool my shop with a ductless mini split with heat pump. I started looking at dust collectors but its a bit overwhelming. I have a grizzly 1hp wall mounted unit now. Any suggestions on this issue. I definitely don't want to under shoot this, and not able to pull the dust at the tools. 

Yea yea :)

I was told I had to have excellent dust collection since I wanna heat and cool my shop with a ductless mini split with heat pump. I started looking at dust collectors but its a bit overwhelming. I have a grizzly 1hp wall mounted unit now. Any suggestions on this issue. I definitely don't want to under shoot this, and not able to pull the dust at the tools. 

Make your own ambient air d.c., I did  :-)

If I could go back in time and make the good decision, I would have just held my nose and bought the Clearvue that Marc has.  Bang for your buck top prize.  Yeah it's 5HP...some may say overkill for a small shop.  I always prefer to err on the side of overkill...better than the alternative.  I bought a 2HP canister unit and Frankensteined it with a Super Dust Deputy and direct out-of-the-shop exhaust.  Meh.

We've gotten to know you pretty well by now, Freddie...I don't see you with a bag collector when a far superior cyclone can be had at twice the price.  LOL.  Learn from my mistake.  My gift to you.

• Like 1

My only question is why is it on paper that the bag collector outperforms the cyclones everytime? Unless im missing something. They are pulling my cfm, static pressure, and pulling maximum material collection capacity. Seems the cyclones look cooler and are easier to maintain. 

My only question is why is it on paper that the bag collector outperforms the cyclones everytime? Unless im missing something. They are pulling my cfm, static pressure, and pulling maximum material collection capacity. Seems the cyclones look cooler and are easier to maintain. 

If you took away the bags altogether you would get even better CFM and static pressure.  The cyclones generally have HEPA filters which do a much better job of collecting the fine particles that damage your lungs.  But HEPA filters are expensive and clog quickly, so you want to put a prefilter in front to catch the bigger stuff.  The cyclone never needs to be replaced, and adds very little drag to the system. 

Short answer - you need to compare HEPA filters to HEPA filters to get a fair comparison.

This^^^...plus you're probably comparing a 2HP bag collector to a 2HP cyclone...which also has "bags," i.e...canister(s).  Bags and canisters reduce efficiency by adding resistance.  A cyclone also reduces efficiency.  So a cyclone with a canister has two levels of resistance to compete with instead of just one in the case of the bag collector.

If you compare a 3HP cyclone to a 2HP bag collector, you'll be back in the ballpark.  Compare a 5HP cyclone to a 2HP bag collector, and there is no comparison.  Vent your 5HP cyclone out the back of your shop, and you'll laugh at the thought of a bag collector.  I hope to have that scenario eventually.

I finished insulating one long run of exterior wall. I temporarily threw a piece of ply on the studs to hang up my clamps and get them off the floor. I had to shift everything around again because I had to clean up my toolbox and take pictures to sell. I had a local buyer and he changed his mind because he is trying to finish building his car and funds are tight. I hope to move this box quickly despite the economy. 

post-3732-0-85931400-1391383219_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-82585400-1391383223_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-14644300-1391383228_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-01852600-1391383232_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-43131100-1391383236_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-22527500-1391383241_thumb.jp

Looks like my old box! Got out of that a long time ago! Best way to unload it is to one guy, or take the time to sell it piece by piece. I sold my huge box (like yours) bought a smaller snapon box, and have been selling stuff little by little. Sold that box not long ago, and bought a small cart. Almost all of my tools are gone now. :(