Rolled my chisel edge, now what?

kbrunco

I have a set of big box store Stanley chisels (I know they are not that great, but they are what I have at the moment).  I am trying to use the 1/2-in one to cut some dovetails.  I flattened the back and polished up the front and put a fairly decent cutting edge on it.  When I went to test it out and tried to do some simple pairing work in the dovetail the edge rolled over.  Did I sharpen it at to low of an angle (I matched the factory angle already on it)?  What angle should I be sharpening at?  

The factory angle is 25 degrees. A microbevel on the tip can be anything greater than 25 up to around 30 to 35 degrees. I prefer 30 degrees for the type of work I do. This sounds like the hardness of the chisel has been compromised probably a result of not done correctly in manufacturing. I've never had an edge roll over even on budget chisels.

Take them back and ask for either another set or a refund.

Or pick up a single decent chisel for doing your dovetails. Think of the time and effort you invest in sharpening , is it worth it to put such effort into a cheap tool? There is a place for inexpensive chisels. I have 3 levels of them, fine hand work( like your dovetails ), general shop work, and job site/rough carpentry (high level of abuse ! )

• Like 1

Are you sure its not the burr that rolled over? If not the burr than your chisel lost its temper ( did you use a grinder on it?) every chisel even the crappy ones chip before they bend except the burr because it is paper thin or, thinner. If it is that soft and, you didn't use a grinder than it never went through the tempering process and is useless, buy another chisel.

• Like 1