Shop Electronics

Chris H

A Windows tablet would suit your needs here. You can hook up an external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and you have a full blown Windows based computer. Or you can use it as-is. SketchUp with a pen is a while different experience. Tablets are designed to be used in dusty environments. They have a "tumbler" that they put these in and fill the tumbler with dust and lint. They tablet has to survive in that environment for x number of days and still work at the end of the test.

==> Ipad is perfect for the shop.

+1

The problem with shop electronics is the dust and potential for distraction...

I used to have a TV/DVD in the shop, but removed it after a friend had a shop incident due to distraction.  That was about 10 years ago.  At this point, most of my stationary shop equipment is aligned on a common user-axis, so I'll be re-installing the TV/DVD behind that axis to reduce the distraction potential.

I used to have a receiver/speaker setup, but found that the db contest between the music and DC system caused me to really crank-up-the-tunes when a song that I liked came on -- and the volume tended to stay that way...  So over time, it became a WAF issue (see related post for WAF)...  I then discovered the Etymotic ER-4p earphones and switched over completely to iPod/ER4 combo...  Actually, now the ER-4Ps are connected to a WiFi receiver in my pocket and the iPod sits docket connected to a tiny Cambridge Audio amp.  The DVD's output will also connect into the amp and all audio will go-out via WiFi.

I have a complete PC setup near the shop, but not in 'the dust zone'...  I don't have a need to create content in the shop, just retrieve it -- the iPad is purpose made for that need (and has largely displaced the paper magazine while in the throne room)...  If I need to create content, I go to my shop office...  When then new Haswell MacBookPro or Retina/Air is/are released later this year, I'll put the notebook in the shop itself and the iPad will remain royally ensconced...

Note: I recommend the Etymotic ER4 series earphones...  While they are a bit pricey and take some getting used to, high quality in-ear buds cut ambient noise about 20-45db (depending on model) and therefore you play them at a much lower level (and therefore expose your ears to less sound pressure).  With their slow popularity gain over the past decade, the ER-4P price has dropped almost fifty percent due to MFG volume...  While still not exactly cheap, they are a true hearing saver and delivery excellent fidelity -- worth taking a listen to...  I can recommend the ER4P/PT, which I've use exclusively for over 10 years... I've tried the value-positioned models, but the fidelity suffers..

Good tip on the ER-4p, but WOW on the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER-4PT-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004CXBJ6A

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

I have the work tunes with AM/FM radio receiver setup. I use those with a BT to FM transceiver, or I just connect to my cheap MP3 player in my pocket. (Run the wires through my shirt so they are out of the way.

I thought that was an expensive setup, but wow, still trying to recover from sticker shock.

I bet they sound nice, though.

This one might be a more palatable option:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XPG2QI/

==> Run the wires through my shirt so they are out of the way.

Exactly... Dangling wires are really a bad idea...

As for cost... for me, it came down to cutting ambient noise by 40+db.  For those who can't get their ears around that -- it's several times more noise reduction than the full-sized over-the-ear protectors typically sold to lawn contractors...  It's basically the same amount of noise reduction as the ear protectors used at gun ranges and airports... That's a lot of noise reduction in a small package....  So the audio can be at really low sound levels and still sound great...

I plan on repurposing an older desktop for the shop when its closer to being ready for it. One of the main reasons is to look at sketchup while working on a project but also when a part changes by design or "oops", how it relates to other parts and any changes that may occur is nice to work out in bytes versus bits of wood. The ability to surf for ideas, check specs on hardware, you name it. I think its a must now, just another tool to have at the ready.

• 2 weeks later...

AppleTv, 40 inch hdtv, motorola tablet used to access my main desktop via Spashtop, and of course a smart phone for answering quick questions from the google machine. Wish I had a Robo-reel though, ahh Robo-reel, why must you keep eluding me, oh right your 3 hundo for an extention cord...

• 3 weeks later...

Good tip on the ER-4p, but WOW on the price!

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER-4PT-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B004CXBJ6A

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

I have the work tunes with AM/FM radio receiver setup. I use those with a BT to FM transceiver, or I just connect to my cheap MP3 player in my pocket. (Run the wires through my shirt so they are out of the way.

I thought that was an expensive setup, but wow, still trying to recover from sticker shock.

I bet they sound nice, though.

This one might be a more palatable option:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Portable-In-Ear-Earphones/dp/B000XPG2QI/

I use a set of these in the shop when i have my phone on pandora 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3549019289434239480?rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS521US521&es_sm=122&sclient=psy-ab&q=sound+deadening+ear+buds&oq=sound+deadening+ear+buds&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.55123115,d.aWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.Ag3CcnQBszM.O&espv=210&biw=1536&bih=765&tch=1&ech=1&psi=AhlpUvigE8eSyAHWlIHQBQ.1382619396112.5&sa=X&ei=IBlpUpnzMbKkyAHiwIGQDg&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAQ