Shop Electronics

Chris H

I am finally embracing the fact that I should probably have a web capable piece of equipment in my shop.  The magic question of course, is what do you all recommend.

I have a good dust collection system, except for when sanding.  I have an air filter system, but finding "fines" settled on all the surfaces after an afternoon of sanding is not unusual.  I didn't see a good thread on WTFs about this topic, but please reroute me if I simply missed it.

Laptop vs Tablet?  I do use SketchUp, especially for commissioned works.  I would love to at least be able to view / explode sketches from the device, and bust out the measuring tool.  I am tire of spending a lot of time setting up scenes for printing, only to have them get messed up by a last minute modification.  I have read several posts about tablets and SketchUp not getting along, but most have been pretty dated.  Is this still an issue?  I am not loyal to a brand (Apple), so if it's a Google vs Apple issue, well then Google wins this round.  My primary concern with a laptop is dust.  Laptops are very porous, I think a tablet will handle dust better, but this is just a hunch, any experience with this?

Brand and Spec?  I don't need a powerhouse for intense gaming, I already have one of those and it only stands to further my distractions.  My primary use in the shop will be for watching video (TWW, MBW, etc), Modifying/reviewing SketchUp, Communicating with customers, and basic internet searching for solutions to problems.  I suspect just about anything better than an entry level e-reader can do these things well, but thus far I have only used a full power laptop.  

Any help, experience and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

TIA

How about an inexpensive desktop?  Takes up more room, but the rationale is twofold:

• You'll want a full-featured computer rather than a tablet because you'll very likely end up editing your plans as a project progresses.  (At least, none of my projects ever leave the shop exactly like the virtual prototypes that came in...)  Ideally, you'd have your *.skb files on a cloud drive somewhere and could jot down quick updates in the shop without having multiple, conflicting versions around.
  • As the CPU and keyboard gather dust and fines, you can use compressed air or a reversed shop vac to clean them out.  Good luck getting all the dust out of a laptop.

Oh, and with the market shifting to tabletes, they're practically giving desktops away these days.

• Like 1

I have a older Dell Inspiron 6000 that was my son's during college.  I paired it up with a 40" LCD TV that acts as the computer monitor.  Older laptops do not have HDMI but have a video output.  You have to make sure the LCD TV you use has a similar video input.  The setup is excellent for 2D or 3D drawings, web browsing and watching Marc's videos.  No issues with dust however I also run air cleaners when I'm sanding.

Chris-

For my needs I've been using an iPad in the shop. It's easy to clean off, except for the suede lining in my iPad case. It does most everything that I need such as doing internet searches and viewing videos. The extreme portability and long battery life of a tablet are great. If I need to use Sketchup, I'll just run in to the house and grab my laptop. Like Rob mentioned, laptops collect dust and debris very easily and I'd rather not have to deal with that. Anyway, that's what has been working for me.

Gary

One thing you might consider is using a tablet in the shop, with a 'remote desktop' connection to the computer you already have in the house. An inexpensive tablet does a pretty good job of web browsing and video viewing ( I use a Kindle Fire). However, you must be aware that a tablet's touch screen interface doesn't translate well to the desktop PC's mouse / keyboard interface. It would probably work fine to remote into your PC for referencing a sketch up drawing, but I wouldn't try to actually draw anything that way.

Another option is to use a terminal device like those available from www.chippc.com. That would give you a very dust resistant device to remotely access you home computer as if you were sitting in front of it.

I wouldn't put a computer in my shop. I design in my office where I can have a full keyboard, mouse, big monitor and cushy chair. I print cut list. Ive tried putting the cut list on an Ipad but its way to small. Currently I have Kinkos print my cut list on 36" paper and just tape them to the wall. I do use my ipad to email and things like that but really if its just a one liner my I phone is plenty. I think I would look more into an application that gives you the details you need without all the effort. You dont need to sell your first born to get decent software. 

I don't use sketchup but use my ipad in the shop for music, web and videos. I added a mount point on one of my cabinet doors and just open the ipad drop it in and let the cover lay over the top. Keeps 90% of the dust off the ipad. You do have to wipe the cover off though. I have an IR remote so I can adjust volume or pause the music and keep the remote in my apron. There are apps to display sketchup files but I have not tried them. Being an "old guy", I just use pencil and paper for design. :-)

BRuce

I design outside the shop...  Simply because my "main" desktop is way more comfortable,  It's in an air conditioned room, ergonomocally set up, and is the same system that collects my backups from my lap and netbooks and writes them to an external USB hard drive at night, serves my iPhones and iPad as an iTunes host, and provides printing capability to all.

I suggest anything that goes in the shop be able to access your designs, and the web, fed from outside the shop.  This can be a cheap laptop, desktop, if you've already got it, it wins!  If not, decent desktops are CHEAP, and can backup all your other machines, regardless of OS.  Use that as the main home machine, and get a cheap or used laptop to take into the shop.  Got a laptop now?   Set up a desktop, and demote the laptop to the shop.

Simply share your "main" file storage location inside your home network, and you're good to go.  My shop laptop is a six year old Acer laptop running Windows Vista.   I think it was ~ $400 new...   nothing special!   Keyboards and mice are $10 / ea.  add them to make it more comfortable in the shop.

Most of my design is still done on paper, with a ruler and pencil. I do have an iPad, which i bring out to the shop for woodtalkonline, as well as looking up manuals for tools and such. I avoid email and iMessage when in the shop. Shop time is sacred and not to be interrupted!

I have spent many hours with sketch up, but still find paper and pencil faster to get the job done. I am a techie person as well, but in this case I like "old school".

Like most woodworkers, I find my cultists are rough dimensions. The project build usually decides the exact final dimensions of parts.

I am, however, a hobbiest and don't make my living from woodworking (though its a pleasant dream). I could see the need for communication with clients while in the shop.

How far away from your home is your shop?

My barn workshop is too far for the wifi signal from my house. So I use Ethernet-Over-Power (often called AV or powerline) adapters to carry my network access up to the barn and then a wifi access point in the barn for my phone. I don't use a computer in the barn (yet), but I need to be able to stay in touch with my customers for my non-woodworking related business so wifi/internet is essential.

When I do get a computer up there, I'll probably use a second hand junk laptop, or a desktop that I can clean out on a regular basis. Because of my company, I often get old laptops given to me for disposal which I would need to put a hard drive into. I wouldn't use an expensive laptop. You should be able to get a laptop for $200 off craigslist or ebay. It'll do what you need it to do. Because it's junk, it won't be the fastest but it'll do videos and show sketchups. I just wouldn't want to design anything on it.

A tablet would probably be OK as the ones I've seen don't need fans to cool them, so won't need cleaning internally. How have people coped with the dust on the screens? Have you found it gets scratched at all? How does the touch screen react to dirty/dusty fingers?

Well......  you can blow out computers, just watch the PSI.  90psi is enough to blow caps of mobos.  If you want to just look at something quick and not have to go to the desktop,,, then a tablet or laptop is nice.

Desktop will have more power to do 3d stuff, but Sketchup is low tech, just dont get hard core with it and a laptop/tablet is fine.  Dont forget you can use a tablet to remote into your desktop to access its power, or use file sharing to store your drawings.  

Brands?  Whatever is your personal preference.  I've worked with almost every brand.  Brands mean nothing to me anymore, they are all on the same level.  I would point you towards business class as consumer class tend to not be as repairable.  Although business class gets cheaper every year.......  This is why I build my own with hand picked parts  <_<

Shop electronics? Chest freezer as assembly table anyone? Have to keep the dust off the fridge coils too. Seriously though, bluetooth is my friend and Apple TV or Chromecast will follow someday. I can pocket or cabinet the iPhone and keep audio and video out of harms way but I do all design sketching at a desktop inside like many of you already stated.

Shop electronics? Chest freezer as assembly table anyone? Have to keep the dust off the fridge coils too. Seriously though, bluetooth is my friend and Apple TV or Chromecast will follow someday. I can pocket or cabinet the iPhone and keep audio and video out of harms way but I do all design sketching at a desktop inside like many of you already stated.

Yup, Bluetooth is the was to go!

Thank you for all your responses.

My shop is in my basement for the moment, and will be in a separate building when our new home is built (12 months).  So there is and will be internet access in the shop, both wireless and Ethernet.  

I currently do all my designing at a desktop, and then typically print out stuff.  I like to setup "scenes" in SketchUp because I hate keeping paper around but want easy access to built another version of something or to share the plans with others who may want to do the same.  I find that often times in a project I tweak the plans or flat out disregard them.  Marc talks a lot of about relative planning and building.  I take that to the next level, and occasionally make wild changes mid build.  (I suspect most people do)

My dream setup would allow me to make changes and quickly do it in SketchUp because it helps me to visualize what those changes actually end up doing to me.  As I get more experience, I can foresee those changes better, but customers typically don't.  I find SketchUp files or screen prints help me to explain my changes quickly to them.  I also find that internet videos like Marc's or Matt's are awesome, but I find them more useful when I can keep up the the guys one the project.  So their 30 minute video may take me 3 hours to get through.

I really appreciate all the help and insight.  I don't know that I am any closer to making a decision but I am certainly more informed!   Thank you again.

I currently do all my designing at a desktop, and then typically print out stuff.  I like to setup "scenes" in SketchUp because I hate keeping paper around but want easy access to built another version of something or to share the plans with others who may want to do the same.  I find that often times in a project I tweak the plans or flat out disregard them.  Marc talks a lot of about relative planning and building.  I take that to the next level, and occasionally make wild changes mid build.  (I suspect most people do)

All the more reason to have something in your shop that's capable of editing an SU file (i.e. a genuine computer, whether laptop or desktop) while the file itself lives somewhere remote.  The last thing you want is to have multiple versions of a file floating around.

All the more reason to have something in your shop that's capable of editing an SU file (i.e. a genuine computer, whether laptop or desktop) while the file itself lives somewhere remote.  The last thing you want is to have multiple versions of a file floating around.

Exactly!

Also, I don't bother to print out smaller projects.   I just walk over to the cheapie laptop, take a few measurements off the screen and write them on my pocket pad, and go cut the parts.  I like having the screen available to rotate and explode assemblies at will.  

Sometimes, I'll realize that changing a dimension will allow me to skip a setup, or two, and I can modify the project on the spot.

It depends on how your house is setup now but I basically dual purposed my desktop to work from my desk and in my shop (garage).  My office is directly above my shop so I just bought an additional video card for my desktop that did HDMI for pretty cheap.  Then I bought a 25' long HDMI cable off monoprice for cheap and ran the cable down into my garage along with a USB extension and 3.5mm cable.  The HDMI cable hooks up to a 24"LCD tv, 3.5mm hooks up to computer speakers, and usb connects to a dongle for a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Now I can completely control my desktop from my garage.

It helps that this PC doubles as a HTPC so I can also run TV and music in my shop off the speakers and monitor.

Then in the future you could just throw the computer into a cabinet (Just add a filter and a vent hole and you should be good.

• Like 1

It depends on how your house is setup now but I basically dual purposed my desktop to work from my desk and in my shop (garage).  My office is directly above my shop so I just bought an additional video card for my desktop that did HDMI for pretty cheap.  Then I bought a 25' long HDMI cable off monoprice for cheap and ran the cable down into my garage along with a USB extension and 3.5mm cable.  The HDMI cable hooks up to a 24"LCD tv, 3.5mm hooks up to computer speakers, and usb connects to a dongle for a wireless keyboard and mouse.  Now I can completely control my desktop from my garage.

It helps that this PC doubles as a HTPC so I can also run TV and music in my shop off the speakers and monitor.

Then in the future you could just throw the computer into a cabinet (Just add a filter and a vent hole and you should be good.

Clever idea.

Ipad is perfect for the shop.  Certainly not cheap, but a lifeproof case is great for protecting from dust. 

If your like me and sweating your rear off in non-climate controlled shop in Texas, the lifeproof is also waterproof so cool off with a dip in the pool while checking out latest wood whisperer podcast.

We got a new laptop last year, so I made the old laptop my "shop computer".  Its buried under a bunch of guitar body templates and hand planes now.  The only thing I ever use it for is learning new techniques on youtube. 

Heck used that method to fix my car two weeks ago.

I've had the same setup as Spyrus for four years; a flatpanel mounted on an articulating arm with some ports brought down from the closet where the computer is located in the house.  An Arizona garage is too hot to keep the computer running so I wanted it in the air conditioned house.  Eliminates the dust issue.

That computer isn't my primary computer, but when I need manuals, documents, drawings, they are available on it via Dropbox.

If I wanted a PC in the shop, I think I'd give the Surface Pro a look.  I'm wanting it for some development work I do occasionally. It would certainly do your SketchUp work with no problem.  At least that would keep any of your Windows software investment running.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my Shop in the basement (recently Moved from the gargage, MN Winters are cold) I keep my main computer upstairs in my office of the house and just transfer everything to my tablet that i need except the cut lists, I have a local company print them for me on 12x18 cardstock, i think its better than normal paper because it wont bend as easy... Just tack it on the wall and away i go... As for music i just have a old radio hanging on the wall, its good enough for me...