An enbarrassing problem

Paolo Sturaro

…It won't get hard…

I'm talking about Tung-Oil, of course.

HI folks, i'm finishing a beechwood sushi tray with tung-oil (chestnut brand) but i'm not sure it's working fine. From what i know, you'r supposed to leave the olied rag on the concrete floor over night and then trow it away the next day when it's dry and "crispy"… Why my rag remains wet even after 24h? The wood surface also remains a bit oily (not wet but it leaves your fingers shiny)… Am i having a probelem or can i go on applying coats?

Tung oils can take quite a while to dry.  I'm not familiar with 'chestnut brand', but I managed to find their website -- unfortunately, it doesn't say much...  If the oil doesn't have any added dryers, polymerized in some way, partially cooked, etc -- then it could take quite a while to dry (days/weeks/months/never).  I'd wait for some who is familiar with the brand to chime-in and/or contact the mfg directly.

24 hours isn't sufficient for tung oil to cure. It takes a couple days, at least. Definitely thin it as suggested. I assume you're wiping off the excess before allowing it to dry? You may want to give it another wipe down after 12 hours to get any oil that's come to the surface off. I find tung oil that stays on the surface takes forever to cure, and often gets quite sticky in the process.