Is David Charlesworth Allowed at Woodworking in America?

Bud

Seems like Schwarz is the captain of the ship for WIA so it makes some sense why FWW didn't mention it, although you'd think that any even that promotes woodworking would be something they'd want to mention. Bummer.

Charlesworth is associated with "Furniture and Cabinetmaking" magazine from "across the pond". He's (was?) the editor. I'm suddenly feeling sleepy...

I think that the fact that Chris Schwarz has the right to decide who comes in or not to this event. Chris made it came up with the idea and worked his head off to make this happen. If we put ourselves in his shoes, it is not right to make something happen and just because it "became" popular now everybody else should have the right to participate while they stood in the sidelines.

This is not hate mail against other magazines. I just finished re-reading the latest FWW and love this issue. But ... WIA is The Scwarz baby as far as I am concerned.

Bobby, it's not a ding against any of the people or magazines. The point is this is a huge event in the woodworking community and not a mention in any of the other mags. Pride should never keep anyone from their main objective of serving the customer and woodworkers are the customer. It's like Steve Jobs not allowing Adobe Flash on the iPod products. Although it's not a good platform, it IS the main platform for video on the internet and pride keeps him from serving his customers. I still own the 4G, though. I just wish the big guys could all realize each of them have something different to bring to the table and good content/product ALWAYS sells.

This quote has been attributed to quite a few people, but it's my favorite. "It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

Vic you have a good point, that is why Marc's community works so well and is all inclusive, probably there is a lot of details we don't know between the relationships of these magazines and editors.

My point is not to throw mud to either side, but understanding why is not mentioned in other media, frankly this event is growing in an amazing way and took a lot of sweating.

The amazing story about this event is that every woodworking show is getting smaller, manufacturers are pulling out and this event is getting bigger every year, whether other magazines write about this event or not, may be this event is all about Popular Woodworking and Chris Schwarz, and that is OK with me.

My library is full of Taunton Press books and FWW is a huge part of my inspiration, I read every issue and go to their online content every day.

Both publications balance out and help us the readers to grow.

Bobby, it's not a ding against any of the people or magazines. The point is this is a huge event in the woodworking community and not a mention in any of the other mags. Pride should never keep anyone from their main objective of serving the customer and woodworkers are the customer. It's like Steve Jobs not allowing Adobe Flash on the iPod products. Although it's not a good platform, it IS the main platform for video on the internet and pride keeps him from serving his customers. I still own the 4G, though. I just wish the big guys could all realize each of them have something different to bring to the table and good content/product ALWAYS sells.

This quote has been attributed to quite a few people, but it's my favorite. "It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

Vic you have a good point, that is why Marc's community works so well and is all inclusive, probably there is a lot of details we don't know between the relationships of these magazines and editors.

My point is not to throw mud to either side, but understanding why is not mentioned in other media, frankly this event is growing in an amazing way and took a lot of sweating.

The amazing story about this event is that every woodworking show is getting smaller, manufacturers are pulling out and this event is getting bigger every year, whether other magazines write about this event or not, may be this event is all about Popular Woodworking and Chris Schwarz, and that is OK with me.

My library is full of Taunton Press books and FWW is a huge part of my inspiration, I read every issue and go to their online content every day.

Both publications balance out and help us the readers to grow.

I've a big fan of FWW, too. I REALLY miss Woodwork Magazine. It approached the artistic side of furniture with the great designer/builders.

You guys have to remember that it costs a lot of money to put on this conference. PW has to pay the presenters and often times this included travel and lodging to the event. I remember reading early this year when the event was being planned that Chris and company reached out to many people to present and some could make it and others could not. Overall they have to consider how much they pay out to presenters and a ticket from Heathrow costs a lot more than one from New Jersey for Frank Klausz. Of course contracts and magazine affiliations will play into it as well, let's not be naive. I have to wonder whether someone like Charlesworth would be able to add much to the event however. Its not that he isn't a great woodworker but so much of his stuff has been published in his videos and so many have adopted his methods and then taught them that would David be able to add anything new? This goes into consideration on who should present as well. Let's just say I don't envy Chris and company the decisions they have to make and work that goes into this event.