Pencil Holder (Stain or No Stain etc)

David Turner

Here is the $1000 question..... OK not really more like $4.00 question cause thats about all it cost to build this Pencil Holder... But I am having an issue deciding how to finish this, It is pine and i know without a pre stain, it will end up blotchy (done that before)  :o ......

What would you guys suggest, it still needs to be sanded and I know its a simple project but I'm not pro and probably the least experienced in the entire forum.... I thought about a black paint, also a rustic type of look (probably cant do that with pine, But not sure maybe it is?)  

Thought and Suggestions?????  

Thanks 

post-7824-0-83971900-1386459351_thumb.jp

Couple of things ---

Plywood tends to blotch, so staining is really not in the cards (unless you have access to spray gear).

Folks are recommending opaque finishes (paint, tinted poly, et al) to mask the plywood edges...

==> will aersol shellac give me any blotches

aerosol will blotch less...

i actually don't mind the plywood edges when they are many thin plies, like what you have here.  if you can sand it smooth and get rid of that tear out, maybe give the edges a nice profile then a clear finish will look fine, in my opinion.  its a more modern look but it can be done.