Wait, I just remembered, I have a Pit Saw

G S Haydon

Yep, don't know why I forgot about this but I was routing about on the Mezzanine Storage level for some saw sets and I saw this baby

post-11619-0-13180500-1388450159_thumb.j

I remeber it being on the wall at our old shop but thought Dad must of taken it home.

Also some nice two handled cross cuts

post-11619-0-07760200-1388450227_thumb.j

And my Great Granddads bow saw

post-11619-0-29194300-1388450271_thumb.j

I have an urge to fell some trees.......

I've been looking for a pit saw that I can afford for years.  We've operated one before, but I haven't found one to buy.  There is one on ebay now for $450, but I don't want one that bad.  Does yours have the tiller?  I have some NOS two man cross cuts from my Grandfather's General Store.

I can sharpen one, and even have an old Saw Wrest for setting it.  I also have two powerlifters who work for me that actually enjoy using one.

18th and 19th Century houses around here typically have 4x8 floor joists. They squared the log up in the woods to make it easier to get out, and then pit sawed it down the middle when they got it back to the yard.  It made the stick lighter and easier to get out of the woods, and left all the junk chunks in the woods to rot without having to handle them.   If they had tried to split them to get a 4x out, they would have lost too many.

Tom, from memory I think it's in a bad way, not even shure what the tiller is, the handle at the top? If and when I get to it I will have to do some research, sounds like I have a go to resourse right here.

Wilbur, guilty, on both counts ^_^, did I mention the bellows I have from our old forge ;)

Daniel, sure did, three of them. I have my saw file on the way, having nearly always used harpoints there will be some learning to do. Fortunately the internet is awash with good information. I recall you got some good results. I'm starting with a 6tpi rip panel saw (~Eric~ loves them :D) and see how I fare

• Like 1