Picture Frame Movement

osgw380

I've got what may be a stupid question but i'm new so i figure i'm allowed a few. I'm working on making a picture frame that has spots for 3-4 pictures. The frame will be two contrasting colored hardwoods. The middle part of the frame is going to be checker board pattern of the contrasting woods (similar to a cutting board) with cut outs in the middle for the pictures. The pictures will be framed around with cornes forty fived and the edge of the frame will also be trimmed similarly. I figured i would spline the forty-fives. My question is do i need to worry about movement where the checkered patterns meet the framed outside edges or is just glue or possible biscuits plenty and i do not need to worry about movement on a picture frame? Thanks allen

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now i've re-read it and this time it sounds like you're worried about the rate of expansion for the checker box being different that the rate for the frame. Without sizes of both its hard to say. When making a game board you definitely need to allow for wood movement within the frame. What size is the checkerboard?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now i've re-read it and this time it sounds like you're worried about the rate of expansion for the checker box being different that the rate for the frame. Without sizes of both its hard to say. When making a game board you definitely need to allow for wood movement within the frame. What size is the checkerboard?

I haven't worked out exact size yet approxiamently 36"x36" or so. There will be 3 maybe 4 cutouts in different locations for pictures. And yes thats what i was worried about the checkered part expanding and making the frame around the checkered pattern mess up the corners. Best way to describe it would be a cutting board framed around with cuttouts for pictures. Thanks for all the help.

One of the tricks used in making chess/checker boards is to glue a thin veneer of the squares to a stable base like plywood. You wouldn't do this for a cutting board because you would cut through the veneer, but for a picture frame it should be fine. As I understand it, the thin veneer doesn't generate enough force to move against the glue and the base.