First drawing in sketch up

bfiedler

Looks good. My only recommendation would be about the dimensions. The way you have it makes it difficult to read. I can figure it out after a couple seconds but it might be really easy to mix up a measurement when you actually build the project. It is much easier to read dimension if you do them in different views and in only 2 dimensions. When I do dimensions I like to export a jpg of each view that way it is viewable from any device and not just the computer with sketch up on it. Here are some examples from when I built my bench. 

Front 

post-7772-0-53756600-1399193060_thumb.jp

Left 

post-7772-0-29183300-1399193070_thumb.jp

post-7772-0-73698100-1399193076_thumb.jp

• Like 1

To be honest RJ I wanted to do it with real dimensions. Right now it's just a label pointing to a side. I couldn't figure out how to make it show like yours does. That's the next thing I'm gonna figure out.

Doug, I went to the 3d warehouse and downloaded a wood texture library. It includes most of the common domestic and exotics. That is western red cedar on the top, and red oak for the frame. Might not be the final material I use, but I wanted to be able to show the transition on the top piece nicely.

• Like 1

To be honest RJ I wanted to do it with real dimensions. Right now it's just a label pointing to a side. I couldn't figure out how to make it show like yours does. That's the next thing I'm gonna figure out.

Doug, I went to the 3d warehouse and downloaded a wood texture library. It includes most of the common domestic and exotics. That is western red cedar on the top, and red oak for the frame. Might not be the final material I use, but I wanted to be able to show the transition on the top piece nicely.

Tools -> Dimension

Then click on the two end points and move in the direction you want your line to be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...