Stanley No. 4

So I had picked this gem in the rough at a flea market about a year ago for $5. I had flattened the sole, and started sharpening the blade, but had never really finished the restoration process. I've noticed that the sides of the body, cap iron, and frog are all painted black. From my little bits of googling around for similar era planes, as best I can tell this painting is not original. Do I stand to gain anything--other than authenticity perhaps--by removing said paint? I assume when I go to true the frog, part of the paint is going to be removed, but should I attempt stripping it off of the rest of the frog?

Also what's the general consensus on if you should refinish the tote and knob? And polishing the brass and such?

One last thing, where can I find a cutter depth adjustment nut that isn't like $20? I really don't care if its an original or not, I just don't want to pay 4-5x the cost of the plane for one little nut.

bChTV47.jpg?1

The nut is likely worth the twenty. The thread count and pitch is proprietary and not something you are likely to find even in a well stocked local hardware. You could always look for planes that are irreparable but even then you are likely to spend fifteen to twenty to get the parts to you. I would remove the paint. I would do this because I am not a collector. I sometimes use these planes in contact with surfaces that I would not want the paint to burn into with the friction heat. My two cents.

There is little to gain from removing the paint besides having it look nice unless there is a chance for rusting. As far as refinishing the knob and polishing, this is also a preference. If you want it to look nice polish those up. Here is the place I get most of my parts. http://stores.ebay.com/New-Hampshire-Plane-Parts/Stanley-Bailey-Stanley-/_i.html?_nkw=Nut&submit=Search&_fsub=1136819017&_sid=944709697. Here is a picture of a #4 I painted, polished, sanded and finished. baja3ary.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well turns out what I had thought was tarnish and grime on the handles and brass was in fact enamel spray paint. One of the previous owners had spray painted over rosewood and brass (and everything else). Completely blew my mind why anyone would do that. So based on the fact that just about the entire plane has been spray painted already, I'm going to go for a full restoration.

• Like 1