Woodworking Class Etiquette

wouldwurker

Public vs private. You are showing colors that have everything to do with your personalities and nothing to do with propriety. In fact, many of these comments are vents of irritation that are offensive to me in practice, but tolerated as venting. Elevator music is ok, but a whistling man is not. Talking on a bus is ok, but if you cannot see the other person it is wrong. This is all in your head. Noise is noise. You choose to let it bother you. The lunch thing also is not a personally selected offense. It may be annoying but is not rudeness on the part of another. What is ideal in your home shop cannot be found in crowds. I worked in this environment for twenty years being held captive to the noise of others. I have days I need silence and days where silence is the enemy. I have no place forcing this on anyone else any more than they on me. So this leads me to a question. Did anyone reach out with the polite request?

These two comments are the ones I find out of context. I support your right to vent frustration. I do not support attempting to denegrate the other human beings. I believe it to be out of character with this forum.

Well you aren't going to like this. That had to be the top post in melodramatic pious claptrap. Drama queen. Please. It's almost funny if it wasn't so loaded with corny passion.

The OP was hilarious and spot on on a growing trend in rudeness and selfishness. I have learned to do more than sit and stew. I call people out asap and let me tell you it feels good and everyone else feels the same way. I have been cheered for asking idiots on the quiet car what makes them so special. Shame, humiliation and a few Don Rickels-esque put downs are just what the doctor ordered for the socially inept.

My original post was intended solely to make folks laugh, and I hope a few of you got a nice chuckle out of it.

Let's make some sawdust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah buddy...I'd had to say something - out loud - to the whole class if the instructor wasn't willing to deal with things.  Give him a chance and if he doesn't step up, ask the guy to please take the call outside out loud for the class to hear.  With the non-paying inbred that wants to interrupt the class with a question.....DEFINITELY interrupt him. I laughed though...it was funny.  Hey, I sit with these 'people' weekly and I write their insurance and I'm amazed at some of the things I hear.  I'm also amazed when they bring their children to the interview....now I know some people have to....they don't have an option and that's fine.  What is not fine is that they allow their wild child to destroy my office rather than making his wild behind SIT....DOWN!!! I give the parent a chance and if it's obvious they're not going to say something, I do...politely and directly to the child...."please don't do that..."  I never seen a parent get angry.  I think they actually welcome a little help.  Vinny, I laughed at your post...I did cause I've seen it soooo much and sometimes I still get blind sided and later wish I'd said something but generally now?  I take stupid head on and say something.

• Like 1

I think it's true when they say, "Aliens have been coming to earth for centuries and dropping off their insane."

I've been lucky in the classes I've taken at Highland Hardware and other places and not had to deal with much of that. Most people who take classes like this are hungry to learn.

• 1 year later...