The Wired Workbench (a la FWW)

wouldwurker

Well, here she is.

As nice as it would be to have that whole bench top free, it's main function is still to be a sanding station. I don't make doors and cabinets (yet), so I don't need the large workspace. As such, the ROS, disc sander and OSS will live on it. Plus if the whole benchtop was free it would just acquire crap anyway.

I'd call it a sanding station before I called it a workbench.

I'll provide my thoughts after using it for a week or two, as well as some comments on the plans and build itself.

But stick a fork in this baby, she's done.

0821e1262ca1997dd4c9093d30d62569.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First major complaint:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/the-wired-workbench.aspx

So yeah, notice how the fella in the picture is left handed.

KIND OF A BIG DEAL IN THE DESIGN ELEMENT.

If the clamp is on the right, and the vac is on the right, and you're right handed, the overhead hose becomes a monumental pain in the rear as everything is squished up to the right of the overhead bar.  There's no comfortable way to hold the ROS.

• 5 months later...

Ugh, I hate screws f18de46177ebd93a198391d2ce1f8783.jpg

Hey Vinny,

Thanks for the great post. I'm planning to start building one of these here soon. One question...is there any reason you couldn't use a Kreg pocket hole jig and eliminate some of the external screws? Based on these plans, you're inevitably stuck with hundreds of screws, but at least you could hide most of the external ones with pocket holes.

First major complaint:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/the-wired-workbench.aspx

So yeah, notice how the fella in the picture is left handed.

KIND OF A BIG DEAL IN THE DESIGN ELEMENT.

If the clamp is on the right, and the vac is on the right, and you're right handed, the overhead hose becomes a monumental pain in the rear as everything is squished up to the right of the overhead bar.  There's no comfortable way to hold the ROS.

So would your suggestion be to reverse the clamps? I'm trying to picture the best way to get past the 'lefty' problem. Thanks!