First Circular Saw Purchase

Jtraugh

I am about to purchase a circular saw and found that there are so many types to choose from... It is a bit daunting. I know that I want a 7 1/4 saw (or do I?), but all the brand names, price differences and features are throwing me off. Milwaukee, DeWalt, Hitachi, Bosch, tilt-lok, comfort grips, lasers, special brakes?! Ah! Online reviews seem to mention the Milwaukee 6394-21 quite a bit and I am leaning that way.

Q: What are the features that I need to make sure are included?

Q: Many look and feel the same and have similar features but are priced about $80 a part! What do you veterans recommend?

What's your price range? That will dictate what I would recommend. I have a nice PC direct drive for the shop and a Skil worm drive for framing. But, if I didn't have a tablesaw, I'd save for the Festool TS55 or TS75, a straight edge and a CT unit. Then you won't even need a tablesaw.

What's your price range? That will dictate what I would recommend. I have a nice PC direct drive for the shop and a Skil worm drive for framing. But, if I didn't have a tablesaw, I'd save for the Festool TS55 or TS75, a straight edge and a CT unit. Then you won't even need a tablesaw.

Price range - not more than $170.

Of those, I'd recommend the TS-75 over the TS-55; the 55 is great for sheet goods but can struggle with thicker hardwood. If you were to go with either, reply back and we'll give you the details of how to place the order to get the right stuff first time through...

Oops, sorry, you posted this while I was posting my reply. Yeah, $170 gets you a free copy of a Festool catalog... (kidding aside, they are fantastic saws and two years from now you could get tired of it and sell it on eBay for very nearly the new price)

Then I would go down and handle a PC, or one of the others in that range. What I like about my PC is I can see where the blade is being right handed. Many of the direct drive saws make it very hard to see the cut. Also, be sure to buy a nice 40 tooth blade and use blue painters tape over the cuts you make. It will greatly reduce the tear out. A straight edge is a must, also, they are easy to make or you can just pick up one of the kwik clamp type.

I hear ya about lots to choose from. All that I would say is get the best that you can afford. There is nothing worse than getting something that you arent happy with. I have a Craftsman with a laser that I never use. My only complaint about it is that it is so heavy. I am not sure how the weight varies from brand to brand. I am saving up for the Festool TS55 or TS75.

I picked up a worm drive Ridgid for about $150. Now I don't use it that much, but when I do it is usually for thick, sometimes wet, stuff. So I went for hard core, but not really high end name brand wise. This is my second medium sized buy with the Ridgid name and I am not disappointed in either. (By the way, the OSS/OBS was the first EXCELLENT toy - ummmm, I mean tool.)

LQQK

I was wondering about the worm drives myself. I have heard that they are a little nice to use.. Is this true compare to the normal circ saws?

Sac. In my opinion, a worm drive is a framing saw. It's great cause when I'm framing, I usually use my foot and let the weight of the saw cut through 2x material. They tend to be very heavy, but if kept oiled, last forever. For shop use, I NEVER grab the worm drive, always the PC, IF I actually need that large a blade. Usually if I need a circ saw, I usually grab my little PC Trim Saw.

I was wondering about the worm drives myself. I have heard that they are a little nice to use.. Is this true compare to the normal circ saws?

I can tell you they give off less vibration and are therefore quieter. They are supposed to be more reliable, more hard core, and more durable. And because they have a gear involved the motor can spin faster into a ratio gearing transferring more power with less bog. Also I hear with worm drives you can use induction motors, which increases in torque as resistance is met.

I bought it for the need to cut 4x4s and 6x6 for an outdoor project.

LQQK

i have a ridgid circ saw and it works well. it seems like no matter where your looking you get chips and dust in the eyes. i have a frued 40 tooth blade and a bora clamp guide that works very well. with the clamp guide you can be less fussy where you put your face so you dont get a nose full of dust and chips.

i have a ridgid circ saw and it works well. it seems like no matter where your looking you get chips and dust in the eyes. i have a frued 40 tooth blade and a bora clamp guide that works very well. with the clamp guide you can be less fussy where you put your face so you dont get a nose full of dust and chips.

I have the same setup on my C-man circ.. Works nicely..

I highly recommend the Milwaukee 7 1/4 tilt lock, quick cord, electric brake model...goes for around $150. You can adjust the handle to whatever is comfortable, the cord is replacable if you should ever accidentally cut it, but you shouldn't cut it because it has an electric brake. From the time you take your finger off the trigger and set it down the blade stops. I've had it for about 4 years and absolutely love it.

I've been a carpenter for over 37 yrs and use the same type of saw. I hate the heavy worm drives. I now have a Milwaukee 7 1/4 Tilt Lok handle model. I don't use it in my woodworking shop now but for breaking down sheet goods before using my table saw it works well.If you will be using a saw all day as in rough framing it helps to have a handle set more to the rear. A lot of saws on the market have the handle almost 90 degrees to the cutting plate. It hurts the wrist. The Festools are way over priced unless your working in an enclosed shop. Just my 2 cents worth. Go to Lowes or HD and pick the saw up and feel the grip. The higher priced models usually feel and run the best.