Guitar Retop

bob493

@Tiods -> thanks. Gonna recess the trem a bit today... wish me some luck on that one...

A real beauty Bob :)

Is it a spalted maple?

Thanks!

Yes sir, got it from some canadian website for 30$!  Its .30" thick, so a "real" top. Buying something like that in america would cost me a cool bill most likely. 

Very nice! Can't wait to see it fully finished!

Preaching to the choir my friend! haha   And thank you :)

Keep waiting for this to be finished, but now he's just stringing us along. 

Sorry, don't fret, didn't mean to pick on you. It's not like you're making these in volume.

haha here I am thinking I was moving along pretty quick honestly ;)

Trust me, this is my #1 guitar, I miss not having it. My number 2-37 just dont have the same... "sparkle" :D  

Man, some dude photoshopped my retop guitar with my EVH model. I'm thinking red is gonna have to happen!!! (He even added strings and stuff haha, super cool!

spaltedaxis-red-26616.jpg

Anywho,  I recessed the floyd. this puppy can now pull up. 

Basically, I made a template out of 1" birch plywood, and checked, rechecked, checked some more, then did a practice route, then checked again. Then I clamped down the template and went to town. I literally don't think it would be possible to get a tighter fit without CNC. The diameter of the bit and all that jazz (I don't have small follower bits, nor would I trust them).

20141204_180356_resized_zpsa06c9b02.jpg

up close

20141204_180411_resized_zpse02e1278.jpg

Came out pretty well.