6 members have voted

1. 1. The freakiest thing I've ever found living inside a board was

• Insectoid
    • Mammalian
    • Reptilian
    • Amphibian
    • Avian
    • Extraterrestrial

Salvaged a long piece of clear, tight-grained cedar from someone's old swingset. In trimming it down to size, I opened a face and found not one but two humongous winged ants boring their way through the wood. Big (ca 1" long and boring holes at least 1/2" wide) plump things that looked like mini tarantulas with wings. Perfect for the Halloween season.

So, what's the freakiest thing you've ever found living inside a board?

I find the Copperheads that live in the old oil well sheds here really get upset when you disturb their home pile of wood. Nasty little critters. I come across a rattle snake in the buildings, but I know they are in the woods, because I find the skins in the spring. I will probably find one in a deadfall trunk hollow.

A friend of mine once found a number of grub-like bugs in the piece of wood he was working on. The piece of wood was a bowl blank that he was turning on a lathe.

The bugs were bad enough, but worse was the combination of sharp tools slicing through the bugs, and centrifugal force spraying the remains around the room.