Stanley vs Sargent

bob493

while im on the subject of hand planes, is there any discernible difference between old stanley and old sargent hand planes? I have a few (2,3,4,6) sargent hand planes, look identical to those stanley ones that sell for 500+$ on ebay. I mean, IDENTICAL, the only difference appears to be the casting stamp.

i.e.

http://tinyurl.com/lp9rt29

It's hard to tell from photos as the important differences (to me) would be how they perform compared to the Stanleys and the quality of the adjusters etc. In the meantime it is worth checking out this site devoted to them. Note that the prices given are as the site points out pre-financial crash and therefore quite a bit over what can be achieved today. If you don't want them then perhaps get in touch with the site owner.

Functionally they're on the same field as Stanley.  I have a Stanley SW #4 and a Sargent and the Sargent is heavier and has the threading reversed on the blade adjuster.  Collectorwise they'll go for less, but you can sell them for what the non-collectable Stanleys go for.  The one in your photo will likely sell for less with the broken horn, ground off VBM on the lever cap, and painted handles. 

I don't really care for monetary purposes. I bought the set for 5$ at a garage sale (yeah yeah, hate me later haha), and if they have some specific value I don't understand, I'd rather just let someone who will appreciate them have em.  

The concensus seems to be they aren't worth much, so I'll just fix em up and get them sorted.

@gilgaron -> the handles are some weird material, I doubt they are original. Super textured, and they feel plastic. Probably a replacement on this particular one.  What is a broken horn though? Nothing looks broken O.o 

My Sargent has a Stanley style tote, it looks more to me like someone reshaped it and then painted/coated it in whatever that red stuff is.  It looks like they got some on the body of the plane below the knob in the second picture.  The knob screw has been boogered and then reflattened, so somebody tried to spiff this back up and some point, including, presumably, the silver paint to replace the japanning.  The ground off VBM is for Very Best Made, this would have originally had Rosewood or Mohagany handles. 

The "horn" would be a section of the tote (handle) that curls back over your hand at the top. After looking closely at the photo, I think that plane was designed without one. If it is broken off, someone did an excellent job of smoothing the break.

ah right, again I don't believe these are the original handles, they feel plastic and have casting lines haha. DEFINITELY not a rosewood or mahagony handle as gilgaron mentioned.