Dinner table journal ... Here we go!

bushwacked

I used the brown dye stain on the x-table, and kitchen helper tower. I can provide close up pics if u like.

Sure I am always up for pictures. I like to learn.

Any thought on Gel Stain? I just picked up a quart of GF 'Southern Cherry' gel stain. Looks a tad darker than their walnut color.

I can post up a pic of it on some hard maple scrap if you like.

Same as above. Always willing to learn.

Do not sand to much finer than 150 or 180 grit if you are staining the piece. You end up polishing the grain which lessens the absorption and dark colors become difficult .

I am at 180g now. Should I get a little darker stain than medium and see how close it gets since it won't be absorbing that much? Or will 180g still be good on the color absorption?

If you are already at 180 grit using a random orbit I would go over it once with 180 by hand with the grain and it should be fine. Having said that I always reccommend taking some scraps and repeat every step of sanding you did to the project, then test your stain/ dye on those first !

Every project I build a few scraps get machined, sanded , stained and finished along with the progress. I spray the finish on at least one test scrap last. You check for dryness/ readiness for sanding on the scrap, not the piece of furniture !

• Like 1

If you are already at 180 grit using a random orbit I would go over it once with 180 by hand with the grain and it should be fine. Having said that I always reccommend taking some scraps and repeat every step of sanding you did to the project, then test your stain/ dye on those first !

Every project I build a few scraps get machined, sanded , stained and finished along with the progress. I spray the finish on at least one test scrap last. You check for dryness/ readiness for sanding on the scrap, not the piece of furniture !

Ok I will do that.

Yes I have a couple 3' long and 3" percent wide scraps I am planning on using as test pieces for applying techniques and just to see the overall look of everything too.

I have seen it done, and done it myself. I don't watch to many how to videos. Some just let the first coat dry, others seal between coats then lightly scuff sand.

Practice before you try it on your table. Then practice some more on the underside of the bench and table before going whole hog.

If you find a color you like run with it ! The more steps a finish has the harder it is to fix if you make a mistake.

You can mix those stains before you apply them as well. Use a digital kitchen scale and measure/ weigh carefully so you can mix small amounts for testing then scale it up to do the whole project.

Example: add a little brown to the red or vice versa .

Ya I will test it out before. But it will be on a later time or a side project.

I will be putting my first coat of stain on today for the test strips. With the cold weather these test strips are going to take a few days to make now. Which is kinda annoying but oh well don't want to ruin anything just cause I can't wait a day or two extra.

Should I use the general finish poly as my top coat? Or can I use other brand polys?

I am going with a satin poly to keep the natural look instead of the super shiny plastic fake look.

Is that the correct thought process?

Brand isn't that important over stain, satin poly is fine.

Read the labels on your stain, might be special steps over a water base stain/dye.

I know all the precautions for the finishes I use but they don't usually sell it to the general public.

Also read about temperature range the stain and finish needs to be applied and dry. These can be very important with water based finishing.

The H2O contact adhesive I use with Formica doesn't dry well under 65 degrees. I couldn't get my shop warm enough on Thursday or Friday to glue up some samples for a client. It was 19 outside, shop never got over 55.

Ok I'll take a look at the labels and see. From the quick look I saw it said be case scenario is around 70 degrees to apply it. It's about 55-60 in the garage.

f7ef88089942f1247c1cd48a32589630.jpg

The medium stain looks great. However the mohagany stain was weird. It had the consistency of a brownie mix. I stirred it well but it got nowhere near the consistency of the medium brown. Is this normal or did I get a bad can?

98f0c3b6fff921e02f779cc37aec8e74.jpg

Bad pic and tough to tell but it's clumpy. I put a stick in it and it clumped up on it and took probably 4-5 seconds before a drop fell off.

I've used the water based espresso stain, and it wansnt nearly that viscous. I am a big fan of the dye/stain. Love that dark brown colour.

Yes I am really loving the general finishes stuff right now. Easy to put on and looks amazing so far. Just was thrown off by the thickness of the mohagany. I am getting used to it though and got one coat applied and it looks great I think.

9acc7cd1a130f539c713f6a54d4d961e.jpg

8d23e7ee5ce121b0f88454ad78ef2111.jpg

Mohagany 1 coat

Medium brown 2 coats. I forgot to sand in between coats one and 2 but I will sand between 2 and 3. Not sure how much that will actually effect the outcome of the color I can expect to get. Although I guess if I like the color I get I won't sand between coat 1 and 2 on the real deal

I never sand between stain coats.

Usually put a couple of finish coats over the stain before the first sand, then go with the grain very easy be extremely careful around corners and edges.

One of your cans is Dye , the other stain, different formulations.

Heh, good call on that. I missed it.

So if I go with the dye should I be sanding between coats?